Breakdown backup plan

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

I'm slightly concerned about breaking down while out on the lake. I'm trying to derive a "backup plan" so in the event it does happen for whatever reason, my passengers and I are covered.

I'm thinking about always carrying oars with me. As well as a trolling motor. I'm not sure if I'd be able to row a boat this size back to shore lol But the trolling motor may be a good backup so long as the battery is up for the challenge. However I don't know how to mount a trolling motor, or where would be an ideal location. Maybe there's a bracket that can be installed on the front or back to hold it? Has anyone done something like this before on their seadoo boat?

Thanks a lot

A buddy of mine was telling me there's a couple of companies doing nationwide towing insurance on boats now. If you've got cell coverage that might be the way to go if they are getting good reviews on the service.

A buddy of mine was telling me there's a couple of companies doing nationwide towing insurance on boats now. If you've got cell coverage that might be the way to go if they are getting good reviews on the service.

Thanks! Yeah I actually got a quote from my agent. Its like $250 per year with $500,000 liability and includes towing. The only issue is you could be out there for hours before the service shows up.

It’s an excellent back up to the back up plan but sitting out on the lake floating around for hours with passengers could seriously ruin the day and chances are they’ll never get on your boat again lol

Yeah I'm sure it depends if they have someone stationed at your local lake or not. I'd definitely look at reviews for your area. As a more proactive plan, would just having a tow rope on board be an option for you? Usually you can flag some nice person down to lend a hand.

So it looks like my lake doesn't even have a towing service available. There's a number of marinas but they don't tow unless you're a member. I would have to rely on the lake police to tow me to the nearest dock then it would be my responsibility to get to the car which could be many miles away.

There is a service called "Sea Tow". They offer service in a number of places just not mine. They say they "will find a service for you and will reimburse up to $5000 in charges". But they could not confirm if there is a service on candlewood lake in Connecticut. If they can't find a service they would defer to the lake police who would just tow me to the nearest dock anyway.

Not that I plan on breaking down, but I want good backup plans before I really get far out there and something unexpected happens. The trolling motor seems like my best bet so far.

Trolling motor will only get you as far as the battery.

Signal horn and a tow rope are your best bet. Maybe a case of beer as a thank you to the good samaritan.

I like the trolling motor idea for 2 reasons. First is to get to shore in case of a breakdown, I like to be independent. Also the lakes up here are pretty deserted on a week day which is when I like to go out.
Second is to putt around at slow speed when fishing or relaxing. Jet boats are noisy and don't steer well at slow speed. I don't really want to start drilling mounting holes for my Minn Kota but it would be nice to have it on board.

I would make sure you add a second battery. the more battery reserve capacity you have the longer your trolling motor will work.

@mikidymac Agreed! I have the onboard battery I'd use as a secondary, and a separate high capacity battery for the trolling motor itself as primary. I just need a method to get back to shore or some close by accessible dock. I also need to figure out how to mount the motor without destroying the deck or bow.

The boat seems mechanically sound but since I have not taken it out for an extended period I need to prepare for anything. After the first big run I'll have a lot more confidence. I've read a lot of stories about "perfectly" running engines simply failing without warning and the engine is seized.

I'm also going to get the flares, whistles and flag. I'll be buying a tow rope as well and will learn the proper towing methods. I believe to tow you should tie a double legged bridle, both legs attaching to the under side cleats of the towed boat. The other end of the rope tying to the center cleat of the towing boat. And the rope to be about 150 - 200 feel in length. That's just what I'm getting so far. I'll continue to research. I'm hoping to never have to use this knowledge lol

As @Raven888 said, the lake near me is large, but pretty empty at times as well. Especially the section I'll be using. There are other sections that are crazy busy I prefer not to be at. I've seen collisions and such due to reckless drivers or those who may be intoxicated.

Sell boat, buy one with twins. Hasn't failed me yet, I've limped home several times on one engine. Best back up plan you can have.

Sell boat, buy one with twins. Hasn't failed me yet, I've limped home several times on one engine. Best back up plan you can have.
Trust me, I've been really thinking about this. So each engine can be controlled independent yes? I will be getting a twin for the next update. I want a solid season with this beast and I'll be selling the beginning of next for a twin.

If getting stranded is a big worry for you and will determine if you enjoy the time on the water your best bet is to ditch the jet boats and get a newer fuel injected I/O boat. That's about as reliable as it gets.

If getting stranded is a big worry for you and will determine if you enjoy the time on the water your best bet is to ditch the jet boats and get a newer fuel injected I/O boat. That's about as reliable as it gets.
It’s not so much of a worry as it is ‘I’m prepared just in case’. I like to be prepared. Especially if I’m out with a few people.

A new fuel injected I/O would be amazing! It’s just not in the budget right this minute. I would love that though. One day!

I'm picking up the below. I'm going for the longer rope since I can use it as an anchor line as well and candlewood lake has a max depth of 90'.

Anchor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJDBL4

Rope:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07229TZPV

Chain:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9T7KC
Anchor or oars, or both. Whatever you need to keep off the rocks until you can get a tow.

Accompanied by marine radio and sound/visual signals, ie whistle/flares. Though I'm not sure how useful the radio would be in that small inland lake.

And of course a trolling motor for backup if that's your bag, looks like you're no more than a half mile from shore at any time. Maybe a nice banana hammock and some fins if you like to swim.

Anchor or oars, or both. Whatever you need to keep off the rocks until you can get a tow.

Accompanied by marine radio and sound/visual signals, ie whistle/flares. Though I'm not sure how useful the radio would be in that small inland lake.

And of course a trolling motor for backup if that's your bag, looks like you're no more than a half mile from shore at any time. Maybe a nice banana hammock and some fins if you like to swim.

I prefer water wings and a nice cool beverage until rescue arrives. Because Merica.
A10SLDJtsaL._SL1500_.jpg

I prefer water wings and a nice cool beverage until rescue arrives. Because Merica.
View attachment 41721
Good stuff! Though I and my snow Mexican brethren prefer the coastal version, Murica.

And who doesn't like a well-fitted BH & fin set?

[emoji16]
ed4e16e899af555872f5bbb3d4f9a431.jpg

You guys are getting in the patriotic spirit just in time for the 4th! Let her rip, tater chip!

For the OP, if you really want to go the trolling motor route, I think I’d use a piece of stainless angle iron mounted to the swim platform to give you a place to clamp a transom mount unit. That’s probably the easiest, least intrusive way to do it...

Best way is pick a busy day, be prepared to wave your hands or a red flag even, someone will take pity on you! :) Sometimes they fall all over each other coming to help.

Our marina provides this service if you call, the competition is TOWBOAT US.

An oar can definitely come in handy, and you'd be surprised how well
you can move a boat that snapped a drive shaft and is taking on water
thru the shattered carbon ring... :eek:

Get the longest oar you can find, it's a ways down from the bow.

Have a plan on how to stop coolant water flowing from pump
(when towed) to avoid flooding engine. I added a raw water
filter on the line off the pump, to keep sand from reaching
engine during normal running. If I need a tow, I can stuff a
walmart bag down inside the filter cup to stop flow. There's
a purpose-made hose pincher, too...

Anchor & line, spare line, fire extinguisher, USCG signals--
yeah, you're nuts if you go out without em, unless it's on
really little water.

Lol a banana hammock? Can’t say I own one of those. Good advice though haha

I did actually get on order the whistles, flare, flag and so on. Should’ve here Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back