Bogging and Trouble Getting on Plane

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

b6r2a4d1

Ok so I took my ski out today and had a lot of trouble getting it to plane with two people on it. From what I've read this is due to a bad wear ring or impeller. How can I tell which one it is once I get it apart? Also once it does get on plane it runs great right up until wide open throttle then bogs down to about 4000 rpm's and surges again. I have recently replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the rave valves. Time to tear into the carbs?

Usually it's both the wear ring and the impeller. If there is any slight bends in the impeller, it will affect it. And yes, go through the carbs.

Chester

yes ,impeelere and wear ring can both be bad
get a flashlight and peek at the front side and back side of prop
look for chips,dings,bends ect. also check for the clearance between the prop and the wear ring, this gap should be small.
and look at wear ring for any big grooves or other defects.
a bad prop or ring can cause the rpm's to climb faster than you accelerate
like a slipping clutch, air leaks at the pump plate or shoe is a whole nother issuse! but dont see this much
as for the bog, so many skis around these years are going to have fuel delivery issuses, start with cleaning fuel filter, then maybe replace the fuel valve, easiest and cheapest fix. if no good then ya got to get into the carbs.
try running in the reserve postion and see if it make a difference
good luck
mud

It can't be the fuel selector valve as I took it out when I replaced the fuel lines. As for the other stuff I'll take a look and get back to you guys.

Here is what I was wondering about with the bogging at high rpms.... It runs perfect all the way up to around 7 grand, then I move the throttle a mm and it bogs to 4. I know on cars if you go PAST WOT it will bog because of throwing off a sensor. Do Seadoos even have that? I just can't see why the jetski would run hard all the way to the top and then bog, I just don't see that as being a fuel *delivery* issue if it's getting delivered up to 7k. Is there an adjuster screw on the carbs that wont let it go past straight up and down? thanks for the help, BTW I am the other owner of this ski.

no tps sensor on his model.
the key to this problem is if the engine shuts down or just loosing rpm
if not the fuel valve then could be the filters in the carbs
these are tiny little critters on the fuel intake side of carb,oppisite the needle and seat.
then can get jammed up with poo and restrict fuel flow
what happens is , at a idle and up to a certain rmp, there is enough fuel getting paste the filters, but when fuel demand goes up with engine speed,
the plug filters cant delivery enough fuel to keep the engine going.
the engine will slow, this gives the carbs a chance to fill back up with fuel,
and the process repeats !!!
i had a pair !! of 96 gtx's that did this , would run all day long up to half throttle, anything past this it would bog down.
you CANT rule out a electrical issue yet , but fuel delivery is a prime suspect.
keep us posted
mud

Mag carb?

Then I might just have a small clogging issue. I think we are gonna take off the carbs and clean them out.

You can actually take off the fuel pump on the mag cover without removing the carbs, that way, you can get a quick look and idea if your mesh filters are your problem. If you check your inline fuel filter (if its the type that can be taken apart and inspected), it should also give you an idea if you have fuel restriction issues. But, to take off the 4 phillip head bolts of the fuel cover is easy and will allow you that quick peek before deciding on removing the carbs. If you see signs of debris in your mag filter, then you'll need to remove and clean them.

I'm actually having a problem sorta like yours, but I get a full shut down. It will run at idle all day long or half throttle, but wide open, it'll run for about 5 minutes, then shut down. I think I found my problem but I'm going to do a pressure test on my engine first before I say for sure what the problem is. But, I can say it looks gasket related.....:cheers:

carb filters

Just took the carbs off today to clean the carb filters. Don't even know how fuel was getting through those little filters at all. They were black with all that crap from the grey gas lines. Put it all back together and it started up quicker than ever. Hopefully this finally solves my surging issues. Planning on taking it out on Friday. I'll post on how it goes.

ah ha , i believe you got it my friend
im crossing my finger for you " i only got one"
good luck and let us know how you do
mud

Yup. My ski is good to go. After cleaning the carb filters and slightly adjusting the LSA it runs like new. No need for a new wear ring or impeller. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back