Boat project 07’ 180 Challenger 215 *Update video

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a search for DeoxIT. Used in the aircraft world to deal with oxidation and corrosion.

You could order a new harness if you could even find one.

The other thing is to take the harness to an automotive electrical shop and they can most like reterminate or make you one.

Update: I just don’t have the time to work on the boat myself. So I’ve brought it to a certified seadoo mechanic. He’s confident he get it started and seems like a professional.

Fingers crossed fellas. I’ll keep you in the loop.

Update: I just don’t have the time to work on the boat myself. So I’ve brought it to a certified seadoo mechanic. He’s confident he get it started and seems like a professional.

Fingers crossed fellas. I’ll keep you in the loop.
They'll figure it out... you've done most of the leg work in narrowing down the problem. Might cost some $ but that's par for the course with boats.

Ok so I know it’s been a minute since the last update.

The new mechanic has been diagnosing the boat. Here’s what I’ve been told so far:

The negative terminal from the battery and ground were in the wrong place.

The positive cable from the battery to the starter needed to be replaced.

The starter was replaced with a used in the shop and the boat started. So the “new” starter the last mechanic put in must not of worked. I have read that aftermarket starters are crap. So I’m not surprised.

The supercharger is leaking oil. The last mechanic built it but must not of done it correctly. I kind of figured it wasn’t going to be done right due to him telling me he couldn’t get it to stop squealing.

Boat has good compression.

They replaced a broken plastic piece on the reverse cable.

They are going to water test it early next week.

So far so good. Glad I’ve actually got someone working on it that knows what they’re doing.

I’ll let everyone know what happens next.

Side note: I ordered Seadek, which should be in a few weeks.

Ok so I know it’s been a minute since the last update.

The new mechanic has been diagnosing the boat. Here’s what I’ve been told so far:

The negative terminal from the battery and ground were in the wrong place.

The positive cable from the battery to the starter needed to be replaced.

The starter was replaced with a used in the shop and the boat started. So the “new” starter the last mechanic put in must not of worked. I have read that aftermarket starters are crap. So I’m not surprised.

The supercharger is leaking oil. The last mechanic built it but must not of done it correctly. I kind of figured it wasn’t going to be done right due to him telling me he couldn’t get it to stop squealing.

Boat has good compression.

They replaced a broken plastic piece on the reverse cable.

They are going to water test it early next week.

So far so good. Glad I’ve actually got someone working on it that knows what they’re doing.

I’ll let everyone know what happens next.

Side note: I ordered Seadek, which should be in a few weeks.
Thanks for the update. Always nice to hear how these things get resolved. Very educational for us weekend warriors.

Thanks for the update. Always nice to hear how these things get resolved. Very educational for us weekend warriors.

Absolutely brother. I love being able to help someone else out especially if I’ve done it before.

So the latest is this:

They water tested it and found that only one of the fuel injectors was working. So they sent them to be cleaned. Only one still would not work after that. So they ordered a new injector.

They are going to rebuild the supercharger. I asked if they could use the same rebuild kit since it was basically new. They said they’d look at it and see if it’s damaged at all. If I can save money from buying a new kit I will. At the end of the day maybe it’s best to buy a new kit. We’ll see what they say.

Other than that, they are waiting to water test it again once the new fuel injector arrives.

Also fun side note: they found a broken bolt on the reverse gate that had been siliconed. Another treasure left behind from the old mechanic.

Sucks to spend so much money but I wasn’t getting anywhere with it and neither was the previous mechanic.

Bring Out Another Thousand.

Absolutely brother. I love being able to help someone else out especially if I’ve done it before.

So the latest is this:

They water tested it and found that only one of the fuel injectors was working. So they sent them to be cleaned. Only one still would not work after that. So they ordered a new injector.

They are going to rebuild the supercharger. I asked if they could use the same rebuild kit since it was basically new. They said they’d look at it and see if it’s damaged at all. If I can save money from buying a new kit I will. At the end of the day maybe it’s best to buy a new kit. We’ll see what they say.

Other than that, they are waiting to water test it again once the new fuel injector arrives.

Also fun side note: they found a broken bolt on the reverse gate that had been siliconed. Another treasure left behind from the old mechanic.

Sucks to spend so much money but I wasn’t getting anywhere with it and neither was the previous mechanic.

Bring Out Another Thousand.
Always frustrating to get a boat back on the water. Hopefully, once you get all of these issues ironed out, you'll be good to go for several years. Takes the patience of Job and Warren Buffet's pocket book. Water and corrosion seem to be the #1 enemy for inboard boats (jet or stern drive). The boating gods owe you a few years of peace on the lake.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that you are getting to the point where you can hit the water with it.

I hope you are in a place unlike me where the boating season is gone. -2degrees Celsius as I type this....

Always frustrating to get a boat back on the water. Hopefully, once you get all of these issues ironed out, you'll be good to go for several years. Takes the patience of Job and Warren Buffet's pocket book. Water and corrosion seem to be the #1 enemy for inboard boats (jet or stern drive). The boating gods owe you a few years of peace on the lake.

Man you ain’t lying. I’m hoping once everything is done, it’ll just be maintenance from here on out. Fingers crossed!

Nice to hear that you are getting to the point where you can hit the water with it.

I hope you are in a place unlike me where the boating season is gone. -2degrees Celsius as I type this....

I feel for you guys, I see everyone is winterizing now. I’m in Florida. Boating pretty much all year round. Personally though sometimes (mid summer) it’s too hot to be out, especially without a bimini top and water. And it’s pretty much salt water boating which as you know takes a toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back