Blue Sea Add a Battery Kit

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

10forty2

I'm thinking for my own piece of mind, that I will add a second battery to run my sound system and isolate it from the cranking battery. I cannot find the output of the 4-Tec engines, so do I need the 60amp or the 120amp kit with ACR? And for those of you who have done this, does it charge both batteries from the magnetos of the 4-Tecs or only when an external charger is applied?

The 60 / 120 amp is the capacity of the switch itself. If you get the 120, you can wire the amp for the stereo to the switch, so when the batteries are off, everything is off, and you can pick the battery to run from. The 4tecs don't output much power so I'd recommend an onboard charger. I'm not sure about the ACR option or not, with it, if only 1 battery is selected, then once it reaches full charge, the ACR will allow voltage to the second battery. But unless the motor is running for a long time, I doubt it will fully recharge a battery after an afternoon of listening to the stereo.

The 60 / 120 amp is the capacity of the switch itself. If you get the 120, you can wire the amp for the stereo to the switch, so when the batteries are off, everything is off, and you can pick the battery to run from. The 4tecs don't output much power so I'd recommend an onboard charger. I'm not sure about the ACR option or not, with it, if only 1 battery is selected, then once it reaches full charge, the ACR will allow voltage to the second battery. But unless the motor is running for a long time, I doubt it will fully recharge a battery after an afternoon of listening to the stereo.

Thanks!!! I was a bit confused on the kit's rating and what the output of the magneto actually was. I'll go for the 120amp switch and know that I'm covered for whatever I do on it.

Yes, it will charge both batteries off the engine charging system.

As far as the Add-A-Battery kits are concerned the 65A or 120A is in fact the max amperage of the charging system that the ACR supports. The switch in these kits is either On, Off or Combine. You can't select one or the other. The batteries are isolated in the ON position until the ACR senses the charging system is active and combines them.

The 4-Tec charging system outputs 360W at 6000rpm. So 30amps on a 12v system.

I have a the 65amp Add-A-Battery Mini installed on my Challenger 180 and so far it has worked as advertised.

Kernal is right, you'll probably want an onboard charger to top the house battery up after a day at the beach etc. I personally don't spend much more than a couple hours running the stereo with the engine off and have found the engine charging system keeps the batteries charged up on my trips to and from the dock. I just went out and checked, and both my batteries are at 12.66V

Next question.....when installing the Blue Sea kit, do i put upstream or downstream of the existing battery switch? Or do I eliminate the OEM battery switch from the picture altogether?

It replaces the existing switch.

The kit doesn't come with any wiring or fuses either so you'll have to purchase all that separately.

I'm thinking for my own piece of mind, that I will add a second battery to run my sound system and isolate it from the cranking battery. I cannot find the output of the 4-Tec engines, so do I need the 60amp or the 120amp kit with ACR? And for those of you who have done this, does it charge both batteries from the magnetos of the 4-Tecs or only when an external charger is applied?

I installed the Mini Add A Battery Plus System (60amp) and it works great, been running it for about 2 months and no issues. Also Love being able to charge the batteries without an additional charger when the boat sits just by plugging in an AC cord. I actually have a thread I posted a while back that goes through the install with some pictures which may help you. I ordered all cabling and connectors from Amazon and custom made everything. Also the guys at Blue Sea were very helpful through the entire process. Hope this helps !

2012 210 Challenger Add a Battery System Complete !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back