Blown Engine is this the right replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..........

I'm not sure. (I don't get stumped often) That has all the same mounting points as my block. So... I'm going to say it's a 2001-1/2 and earlier block.

With that said... it SHOULD be able to accept all your parts. But I'm really not 100% on that.

Since you will have first had with it... please keep us informed if there are any issues.

Post up a few pictures of your old engine. Especially around the alternator mount. I should be able to tell from there.

At least it's a sportjet, nice score if it'll work! P/N is 884-858257T24 so it shouldn't be too difficult to find out if it crosses over to yours. Mercury is one of the easiest mfgr's to look up numbers.

Yes, but there's a cross reference for every part in the mercury system, mercury service centers all have access and based on your serial and model number can determine exactly which parts will fit your boat.

I don't have access at the moment but there are some odd backdoor entry tricks and you can probably find one if you dig deep enuff. GOOG search page 22?

Or just give your local merc dealers service department a call, have your serial and model off your sportjet and they can tell you exactly what fits and probably if you have to buy another alternator or some kit to make it work.

From what I think I know, and I stay as far away from merc 2-strokes as I can (sorry, no offense), it will work if it's the special Sportjet crankshaft spline(and it is!). Can't be sure unless it crosses by P/N though, wish I could help ya nail it down.

So after a year of not having my boat I have the right Power head.
http://www.obparts.com/rebuilt-mercury-mariner-v6-2-5l-240-hp-sport-jet-2002-2006/

I think I am going to pay some one to dress and install it i was quoted 1000 - 1600 by different shops in my area. One of the guys told me to replace the fuel injectors and all the filters for good measure. I am ok with the filters but dont know if i need to injectors, he said its a good idea when putting in a new power head in. I just want this thing to be done right which is why im paying instead of doing it my self. I could do it but I don't want to do it wrong.

Gioakjoe im curious if you ever got your power head from Avanti-pilot on Ebay? I bought one from him last year and never received it I did get a full refund. His excuse was it was sold locally and he forgot to end the listing.

Gioakjoe im curious if you ever got your power head from Avanti-pilot on Ebay? I bought one from him last year and never received it I did get a full refund. His excuse was it was sold locally and he forgot to end the listing.

no I called him once i figured out the engine was wrong and he gave me my money back and re listed it.

as for my Engine Serial Number 0E411780
I agree i think im going to spend the 1500 and have the guy put in new injectors and filters in he also seemed like the best mechanic shop

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know..... I hate watching someone blow a wad for something that turns out was unnecessary and $1500 is steep for injectors, a tough one to swallow @ $250 each. But, it's not worth the risk of roasting a piston.

Don't forget, a fuel tank with junk in it can destroy new injectors too, those spin on filters are great units but this is a big wad of dinero you're dropping so I'd assess that as well, if I was the mechanic I'd polish the fuel while dragging the boat around the yard and see what comes out of it. I'd do that for free man, just to make sure there's no junk n there and I don't end up with egg on my face and a pissed customer.

Like I mentioned, I'd start with looking at the fuel filters too, like cutting open the spin-on and looking at the paper pleats for dirt and junk. Basically, make sure there's no crap in the fuel tank.

Have you considered sending your injectors out for cleaning and flow check? I guess you could get that done for $80 each, perhaps less, there are lots of places that can do that, here's one:

http://www.injectorwarehouse.com/marine/mercury-marine-outboard/R840481001.htm

This guy can do them for $70 apiece:

http://www.marineinjectors.com/marineinjectors.php?injector=840481001

Last edited by a moderator:
im not to worried about any thing being wrong because the blown engine was 100% my fault by not putting the oil cap on right... and it starved the engine of oil big costly mistake but I learned and will move on. but I suppose the engine is open and might as well get new ones while im inside. 1500 to dress install and change my injectors and filter seems worth it to me for security as for the gas in it i drained the gas in it as it was in there for almost a year and will put new gas when we start it up to be sure.

All this talk of injectors got me wanting to send mine off and have them checked. Sounds like a good idea for piece of mind.

so instead of putting new injectors in he cleaned them as they were in pretty good shape hope to have my boat back by the end of the week

Took my boat out for the first time in over a year was a good feeling to be back on the water thanks for all the help guys!

im not to worried about any thing being wrong because the blown engine was 100% my fault by not putting the oil cap on right... and it starved the engine of oil big costly mistake but I learned and will move on.

Nice, glad to hear it's back up and running. Although you made the mistake of not replacing the oil cap there's a sensor in that tank that's supposed to warn you, along with a host of other sensors such as the engine temperature sensor. It can't be overstressed these are working properly and the buzzers sounds, etc., there's a right way to check and make sure these are working and how they're supposed to operate that you should find and familiarize yourself with in the service manual. Hopefully your repair shop tests these as part of the maintenance but it seems in your case yours failed for some reason.

So from my perspective, the root cause wasn't 100% operator error but also failure of the warning system played a large part of this failure.

They sure run great when running the way they should, enjoy your boat and have a great summer!

All this talk of injectors got me wanting to send mine off and have them checked. Sounds like a good idea for piece of mind.

Or if nothing else at least change the spin on fuel filter once a year (Sierra makes a good replacement if the merc part is difficult to obtain). And for peace of mind when removing the filter, shake it up good to agitate the contents and pour the fuel out into a clean large clear glass jar then allow to settle and see if any crud/water settles out. That should give you some idea if there's junk beginning to build up in the fuel system.

Or if nothing else at least change the spin on fuel filter once a year (Sierra makes a good replacement if the merc part is difficult to obtain). And for peace of mind when removing the filter, shake it up good to agitate the contents and pour the fuel out into a clean large clear glass jar then allow to settle and see if any crud/water settles out. That should give you some idea if there's junk beginning to build up in the fuel system.

I have both filters new waiting to be put on now. I will check it in a glass to see the results thanks

so the guy replaced the whole oil tank and alot of the sensors we went throw and made sure all the alarms kicked on and off he went on a sea trial with me and made sure everything was ok with me looking at the engine looks like everything is brand new im pretty impressed with the work done
10440969_10100606236910164_7918568118039447200_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back