Blow out the exhaust on my 2007 180 Challenger???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Pirate

I have a couple of young children and work two jobs, so most of the summer my boat sits in the garage. That being said, here is my question.....

I have only had my boat out twice this year. It has been VERY sluggish. Even if the water is smooth, the boat struggles to break 20mph. The last time I had the boat out, I noticed a STRONG gas smell. A friend of mine was talking to his co-worker about my problem and he said I needed to blow out the exhaust because of build up and this should eliminate my problem. How do I do this??? I have never worked on the boat before.

~ Lake Pirate

I have a couple of young children and work two jobs, so most of the summer my boat sits in the garage. That being said, here is my question.....

I have only had my boat out twice this year. It has been VERY sluggish. Even if the water is smooth, the boat struggles to break 20mph. The last time I had the boat out, I noticed a STRONG gas smell. A friend of mine was talking to his co-worker about my problem and he said I needed to blow out the exhaust because of build up and this should eliminate my problem. How do I do this??? I have never worked on the boat before.

~ Lake Pirate

Sounds like you have fouled spark plugs, replace them and I bet your boat will run allot better. The smell of gas is from the un-burnt fuel coming out of the exhaust.

I'd tend to agree with Thor. You're spose to replace the plugs annually. It's a 5 min job and $20 to do yourself. Just be careful not to drop crap down the cylinders when you have the plugs out. Try that first with some new fuel and see how she runs.

P.S. Never heard of an exhaust needing "blowing out".

As you're smelling fuel - it would also be a good idea to check the fuel lines for leaks. In fact check every single hose in your engine bay while you're at it, make sure all clips are done up tight.

I read in another forum that a 4 year sold Speedster (your vintage) needed the fuel cap oring replaced as it had perished. Maybe check this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back