bildge pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lottinala

here is my problem i just bought my boat and the batteries were dead. (1996 speedster with twin motors) well i put it on charge and as soon as the battery started charging i herd this noise and beings i know a liitle about boats i knew it was the bildge running, so i went to what i thought to be the switch ( the left switch that is right above the start button) and pulled the wires off of it and it still ran. so now i go in and look at the owners manual and i was right this switch was the bildge switch. so i got my son to reach in and disconnect the bilge at the bilge and it qiut running. so does it sound like someone might have bypassed the switch on the console or is there something that someone can fill me in on and give a helping hand. would the bildge still run if the unit had a short even with the switch disconnected.

There is a "wetness detector" attached to the mount on the pump (at least there is on my 97 challenger) and even if the bilge switch is turned off, if that one by the pump senses water it will kick on until it is dry, then run another 15 seconds or so to keep the hull dry.

I had mine dying all the time when even a little water got in because it would not turn off when the water got below the sensors and the pump started to suck air. I bent the sensor bracket a bit so that it would turn off a few seconds after the pump started to suck air.

It is attached to the sheet aluminum that holds the bilge pump. Not easy to see, but it has a black doohicky attached with what looks like a black metal pencil eraser sticking downwards.

Hope that is a decent description, and hope yours looks like mine does. Just bend the aluminum sheet to raise it up a 1/4" or so. Then the bilge will stop sucking before it goes dry, ie the sensor will get dry before the bilge does. The bilge will continue to run for another 10 or 15 seconds, further drying the hull after the sensor is dry.

As mine was stock, it would not sense being dry until after the bilge was sucking air, so it would just suck air until the battery died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back