Best way to shine up outer Hull gel coat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the some tried and true methods of shining up the gel coat on the lower hull? The white is fine on my new doo but the blue could use some shining. I like to take care of my things and just feel like I HAVE to get it back to it’s original bright blue. Thanks!

I have seen some threads on this but some say wet sand etc and some just say buff with a polish...?

I want it to have that wet look like the second pic even when dry...

Attachments

• 0FC83EBE-2EE0-4763-A43D-A5A390823906.jpeg
    0FC83EBE-2EE0-4763-A43D-A5A390823906.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 7B5BECD6-2663-46F9-A07C-6C248B75E01E.jpeg
    7B5BECD6-2663-46F9-A07C-6C248B75E01E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
Rent or buy a buffer with a wool pad. Get a good gelcoat polish product and wax.
I have tried lots of stuff but now I use only Menzerna one- step gelcoat polish and the Ardex Ocean polymer wax on yachts and PWC's. The Menzerna is a bit more expensive but it is a one- step polish which saves you in time and get the job done. My jetski was in a very bad shape too, now I can park it to a new one and all believe it is new. Do not waste time with fooling around with a foam pad, for gelcoat you need a wool pad to cut into it. Use the wool pad at low speed to cut and buff at a higher speed. There are lots of youtube videos how to do it.
The Ardex Ocean polymer is cheap and very good.
Just ensure you tape over the decals or they are gone. (I am not paid by Ardex nor Menzerna, just tried and tested most products and find these best achievers)

I used 3m marine rubbing compound with a rotary polisher.

My whole doo was oxidized pretty bad. The 3m stuff brought it back to life.

So I am completely new to this, have only detailed my Jeep and car never a PWC. Do I need to use a buffer for the rubbing compound and then again for the polisher? Does that deal it also or so I need to apply some type of finishing compound?

Like I wrote before, use Menzerna one-step polish. Use buffer with a wool pad and done with it. Than you add wax to protect. Easiest and cheapest with best results. But, a free world, feel free to use other products and methods.

You don't NEED to use an electric buffer but after you do it a few times by hand you'll know why everyone says to use one lol.

Whatever you use, any abrasive like polish or rubbing compound will remove any protection (I.e. wax) from the finish. So once you have it shiny you want to finish it off with a quality wax.

Attachments

• 20180421_182125.jpg
    20180421_182125.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The Meguiar’s marine line of polishes work great and are specially formulated for gel coat.

Don't use automotive stuff, it is for clearcoat and waste of money, use a product for gelcoat. Gelcoat, especially when it is oxidised you need to attack with a wool pad and aggressive cutting compound.(and a good buffer) or sanding when very heavy oxidised.
Meguiar's marine stuff is good, I used it before but changed to Menzerna because it has the 1-step polish so you don't need to cut and polish, 1 go and wax on top, done. Part of my business is detailing yachts, when doing >36 ft yachts it saves a lot of time if you can skip another round with the buffer. Product is more expensive but the time is the money. Not so relevant on a PWC but than you understand where I come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back