Best Boat and Engine?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gcoops

Okay all you experienced guys! Can someone please tell me what Boat and Engine configuration is the best for U.K fuel consumption? I am new to Jet Boats, having only sailed, and I am confused and worried how much gas it is going to cost me over a weekend? I want to use it for family fun with the odd ring pull or ski. I would like to teach my 10 year old how to ski and my wife how to drive a boat! I want to be able to afford to use the Boat as often as I can, and not to have it sitting on my drive! Much appreciated............ gcoops:confused:

MINE!

Actually, a full tank of gas lasts me all weekend. 27 gallons, I think. that is 3-4 hours running each day at 1/2-3/4 throttle. We do a lot of sitting and floating, or tossing the ball for the dog on the beach.

So for me, now, about $45 for the weekend.

So conservatively, if you ride harder and longer than me, a tank a day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well whats you budget and what size boat do you want?

2003-2006 sporter 4-tec, 2007+ they call it speedster 150

The sportster/speedster 150 with 155hp 4-tec motor will be you best bet if you worrie about fuel prices. I have the same boat and if your wakeboarding or waterskiing a tank should last the whole day, Tank is 80 L. I use mine every weekend wakeboarding and just driving around and ive never used more then a tank in a day, Im always driving as fast as i can and jumping waves i normally dont take my time. WOT all the way LOL. Most smaller single engine boats will be really good on gas compaired to other boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a loaded question

You have to decide what you want to do with it first ,
Hear is a check list . do you want to ?
#1 Go as fast as you can?
#2 Go in rough water
#3 carry more than 3 people
#4 Go fishing
#5 Tow wake boards or water skiers
#6 Go more than 60 miles at a stretch
#7 Bring a BBQ with you
#8 have a toilet available
#9 Want to carry lots of camping gear
#10 Have protection from the wind and rain ?
#11 be able to work on the boat yourself
#12 Be able boat and anchor at night
#13 be able to tow without a truck
#14 be able to load boat on trailer by yourself
#15 not have to get a second morgage

Answer these and perhaps one ot two that I have not remembered and you will be lots closer to your answer.:coolgleam:

The sportster 150 is a nice boat. Great on gas and a lot of fun. Small for more than 3 people but it can carry 4 and drive ok while doing it.

Good boat.

Which Boat?

Thanks Boys! Great comments. I guess I need to give you all more information? I have 3 kids, ( 3, 5 and 10) and they are confident in the water and enjoy being on a boat. So for 60% of the time I think 2 adults and 3 small kids would be on the boat and the rest it would be 2 adults 1 kid probably tubing or waterski-ing. As you know our fuel costs are high in the U.K ($5.85) and I think it is important I take into consideration my running costs. The furthest distance would probably be around 10-15 miles? It would be nice to have some protection, so a Bimini would help. I would have to work on the boat myself to keep the costs down.(I am an Engineer) I have a suitable vehicle to tow. Can I load and offload with my 10 year old son?? I do not want a second mortgage for the boat!!! Budget around $10,000??(Less in pounds)Looking at the Speedster 150, this looks like a small boat?Keep the comments and advice coming boys! I need all your experience before I go out and make a purchase. Keep em coming!!!................ gcoops

Which Boat?

HI scooper, you are quoting good figures for your Challenger? This size of boat is nice for us. This is a twin Rotax set up?? Or a single?? Do you use it on fresh water only? How do they cope with Sea water conditions? I wonder why they are not all that popular in the U.K? Jet Ski's are, but not the Boats? It may be Weather related?? But I can live with the costs you are quoting and yes I do understand that it can change depending on different conditions as mentioned by Seadoopilot. Keep the advice coming............. gcoops:)

if your that concerned about cost, dont do it!!
i was once told "10% of purchase price is the ongoing expense per year".
i have a highly mod speedster 150, i would use half tank (40 litres) in an outing, thats going fairly hard with two people.
servicing costs towing and fuel, why the hell would you buy one?
oohh yeah, the fun factor!!!!
ya cant beat that..........

speedster is a small four person boat, not the best in choppy waters.

if your that concerned about cost, dont do it!!
i was once told "10% of purchase price is the ongoing expense per year".
i have a highly mod speedster 150, i would use half tank (40 litres) in an outing, thats going fairly hard with two people.
servicing costs towing and fuel, why the hell would you buy one?
oohh yeah, the fun factor!!!!
ya cant beat that..........

speedster is a small four person boat, not the best in choppy waters.

My model Challenger would work for you for now, but it would be tight with 5 people in it. Not so bad now that the kids are young, but give them a couple years and it would be crowded.

Mine seats 3 across the back, including driver, then one facing you, and one at the front.

As far as pulling a tube with all those people, no problem.

OK 5 people , yea three are small but they have an obnoxious habit of growing then the stop touching me thing ,
Then you get into the self repairing
only plan on short trips
Fuel is a concern but if that was of great importance you would not get a boat at all
you want shelter from the sun,
I vote for a Challenger 1800 with bimini about a 98.
If the price was not so limited I would vote for a newer one
The Challenger is only rated for 4 people but the Challenger 1800 is rated for 5 0r 6 The challenger has a single 110hp rotax and the 1800 has twin 110 rotax
The salt water does shorten the life but thousands do every day , just be sure to properly flush it .
Now if you think you can deal with the smaller size the challenger has enough seats for your small children , you will save money , can buy a nice one remove the engine rebuild and ship separately to the UK as parts and save on the import duty and be under your $10,000 usd I just think you will find it a little cramped . and out grow it soon .

I agree. I think it would be fun for a year, then you would be trying to sell it off and get something bigger.

I have had 4 adults in mine a couple times, and it is pretty tight.

It is just perfect the me, the wife, and the dog.

Which Boat?

Now Boys! This is all great advice! I appreciate you guys are being honest and passing on your wealth of knowledge and experience. All this advice is being taken on board and I can now narrow it down to probably 2 boats and engine combinations? I will also start to look at Seadoopilot's idea. Nice one!! A problem I have found when trying to get a free shipping quote online, has been that they do not have facilities to accept a U.K postcode??(zip code) I may have to try emailing them? Thanks guys and any more information would be more than welcome............gcoops:)

When i shipped my challenger 1800 to Australia it was $4500au, after i got it here i found out it would have cost less if i had contacted a shipping contractor in aust instead of organising it in the US.
Also don't go any bigger than the 18ft as they will fit into a 20ft container, if i had needed a 40ft container the price went to $10000au.

A problem I have found when trying to get a free shipping quote online, has been that they do not have facilities to accept a U.K postcode??(zip code) I may have to try emailing them? Thanks guys and any more information would be more than welcome............gcoops:)

Try this one
http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/

and just a thought , Hitch it to a good sized lawn tractor and ship it in a Role on role off mode , It is cheeper , dont need a new tractor.
I can pull my old boat out of the water with my Honda tractor .
Just a thought

gcoops, think you should hit up 'gunzrunner" and see what shipping company he's think'n of. Reason being, i'm goin to pick up a 98 Challenger 1800 Sunday afternoon/monday morning(unless he back-doors me, and dumps it)...and with your budget think I can help you out with boat, eith er the Challenger 1800 or Sportster 1800.
Need to test Challenger out before I decide witch one to dump...

It sounds like your pretty set on getting a seadoo but have you considered a non jet ? The only reason i say this is because as you kids get bigger and all, you may want to look into a propeller driven boat. I'm sure you can find some good deals on those!!

It sounds like your pretty set on getting a seadoo but have you considered a non jet ? The only reason i say this is because as you kids get bigger and all, you may want to look into a propeller driven boat. I'm sure you can find some good deals on those!!

I totally agree with this comment. Prop driven boats have better fuel consumption and are much easier/cheaper to maintain in my personal opinion. Not nearly as nimble as a jet boat but still tons of fun an I have found them to be lighter on the wallet. Look at all your options...but if you are on a tight budget I would highly reccomend looking on non jets.

Hope this helps!

Matt

I totally agree with this comment. Prop driven boats have better fuel consumption and are much easier/cheaper to maintain in my personal opinion. Not nearly as nimble as a jet boat but still tons of fun an I have found them to be lighter on the wallet. Look at all your options...but if you are on a tight budget I would highly reccomend looking on non jets.

Hope this helps!

Matt

:agree: but i also dissagree LOL.

I ve been thinking want kinda boat would be good for you based on when i was a kid boating with the folks. I have to say if there are 5 of you then look for a 7/8 person boat even if you need to save up some money for little longer it will be worth it in the long run. Went i was young we had a 20ft grew 6 passenger 4 in are family and it was always cramped. By the time you get all the gear ski,tubes,wakeboards,ropes,food ect ect ect it can be cramped BUT i will promise youll still have fun. If you want a jet boat id at least get the 18ft model.
Whats your budget and what about a tow vehical? and where are you going to store the boat? With prop boats you can get away with keeping them in the water the jetboats you cant leave in the water.

Tow vehicle may be a problem with the bigger boats. But as far as a prop drive boats that are pretty cheap and will last awhile, i'd look into a bayliner. If they have them in the UK? Also you may want to get an outboard instead of the more common inboard/outboard. And for which outboard look into Yamaha outboards. They'll last a lifetime. I don't know about there skiis though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back