Beaching your boat - Challenger 210

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoloiv

Hello guys,

Have any of you beached your boat 180, 210 or 230 ?
Is it safe to do without getting stuck ?
I would be the only one pushing the boat.
Please explain as I have no experience with this.

Thanks

Hello guys,

Have any of you beached your boat 180, 210 or 230 ?
Is it safe to do without getting stuck ?
I would be the only one pushing the boat.
Please explain as I have no experience with this.

Thanks

I beached my speedster200 once...it is great being right on the beach but kept thinking about how hard it will be to push off especially with the tide constantly going in and out...it did take a bit of effort to push it off so I would say if it's only you pushing especially on a 210 I wouldn't suggest you do it.

Last year was my first year with my 180. We beached it some because it had been beached previously (I bought it used). The biggest issue I had was if the motion of the water pushed the stern sideways, causing it to be sideways to the beach rather than nose-in. I got a rope and one of those corkscrew type hooks (like the kind you might use to connect a dog to) at Home Depot. I hook that to the bow loop (where you attach the chain from the trailer). Now, I've got an anchor for the stern. If you're going to beach, I would recommend these because then you don't have to push the boat so far on shore that it will be tough to get it off again and you won't have to worry about the stern coming around sideways.

One thing to be careful of, though: make sure the beach is soft, or you'll scratch up the bottom of your boat.

I beach my 180 every weekend. if you're the one that pushes it on the beach you should be fine to get it off. I always have my wife stand on the swim platform and that raises the bow and makes it easier to push off. make sure you wait till you get to three feet of water before firing it up and shut it down before it gets to shallow also.

All you need is 1 small rock and a little wave action to cut a nice deep circular gouge in the bottom of your hull. :rant:

And once you have cut thru the gelcoat to the fiberglass underneith, water can start to work under the gelcoat from that gouge and can peel your gelcoat all the way back to the stern. :(

I am seriously against beaching a boat under any but the direst of circumstances... it's just not worth tearing up the bottom of the hull. Anchor just a short distance off shore, like 3 or 4 feet of water. What, you're afraid of getting wet or something??? :toetap05:

- Michael

I'm sure you can do it but the question is why...... Why ruin the finish of an expensive boat when you just use a $40 section of rope with a screw in anchor or a danforth anchor you just pull out in front of the boat and throw in the sand.

You both make sense coming from your 80+ degree water and "sandy" beaches perspective. But here in the Pacific Northwest, or South Alaska as some say, Grandma doesn't want to get off the boat and wade in 3ft deep, 50 degree water.

That's true! However, I think some compromise can be made for those who are beach-wary. Our boats have the nice feature of a shallow draft, so one could get the boat in to about 18" of water, anchor and tether it, and avoid beaching. Depending on the angle of the shore, that might not be too much wading in cold water, and at least it wouldn't be worse than knee height. Those who have bow ladders make it even easier for their passengers.

That said, mine was beached some before I got it. None of the scratches were bad. I plan to take care of them, but haven't had a problem beaching it in the meantime figuring it doesn't really matter at this point. Of course, our summer water temps are usually at least 70. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back