Battery vent hose?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed my battery for the Winter and just installed it. There is a small vent hose to a port on the starboard side that is not connected to anything in the battery compartment or fuel filler/tank area. I notice some mention of a battery vent hose not needed if I have a sealed battery. I did not notice any place on the battery to connect this. My battery is new with the ski last year. Is this hose the battery vent and do I need it? Or does it go somewhere else?
2012 GTI SE 130
Thanks.

Yes, I know if I have a sealed battery I will not need a vent hose.
What are the characteristics that would allow me to determine if the battery that the dealer sold me is sealed or vented?

Well, a sealed battery is sealed which means you can't and any water or electrolyte to the battery, ie an AGM battery. A lead acid battery would require to be vented, and you can add water.

Lou

Yes, I know if I have a sealed battery I will not need a vent hose.
What are the characteristics that would allow me to determine if the battery that the dealer sold me is sealed or vented?

If the battery has a nipple on top of it then it's a vented (non-sealed) battery. Most seem to be sealed now-a-days though... take that vent line, bend the last 5 inches or so of it over on itself and zip-tie it to itself so it won't leak water into the hull and forget about it.

- Michael

I know this thread is over a year old, but I found something on my 2010 GTX 155....with the battery vent hose.

By way of background, I anchor my ski in a cove that can get quite rough when a storm passes through. I've been doing this with a 2000 GTX DI for years with zero problems. The first storm that the 2010 went through almost sunk it. I had been concentrating on the "hatches" on the rear deck as a garden hose test confirmed that they are not water tight. Moving forward......over the winter I replaced the battery with a new, sealed battery, and now, the vent tube just hangs there as it is not needed.

Today, it hit me that this may be the source of water in the bilge after the storm. The wave action is pretty heavy, and while I can't say with 100% certainty, I'm thinking the ski bounces enough in the water so that the water gets over the rub rail and submerges the through the hull battery vent port thus flooding the bilge.

Plausible? Possible? Wishful thinking that I've solved a problem?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't see how more than an few drops could get through the hose, if you are concerned bend the hose and crimp it. That being said skis are really not made to be left in the water, if you leave your ski's in the water for an extended period of time make sure you have a working bilge pump and a way to provide power to it.

Lou

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll get started on the bilge pump install!

As always, thanks.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back