Battery outputting only 7.70V... can I fix this??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

prd

Hi,

Its been quite cold and I wanted to winterize the ski, but the battery wouldnt start/even show the dashboard of my gtx 97 ski.

Ive checked and its only output 7.70v.

Ive now brought it inside and if I keep it charged overnight, would it make it go back to 12V?

Sorry, im noob with batteries.

Thanks

If this is AGM type battery, be sure to use a trickle charger on it. I don't know what the deal is with them, but I used a regular charger on one that was new and it messed it up. I only use my battery tender now, and have had no problems in 3 years with the two that I use.

If it won't get you back to at least 12v, it probably won;t start the Doo. These machine are finicky when it comes to voltage, they have a very narrow "good" voltage needed.

And since you said that you;re a noobie, be sure to not give in to the temptation of jump starting from your car. I think you can do it, if the car is not running, I'm sure some others will chime in if that is incorrect.

Thanks Guys... Well its currently charging from my small battery tender.

Ill keep it going overnight... but its supposed to snow in the days to come.. so Id like to get this thing started to atlease get the fogging in place.. and let the Sta-Bil into the whole system... so that I can get this Preston into it :)

Hopefully tomorrow the battery will give me 12V.. Crossing fingers.

Use jumper cables to supply power from the truck to the boat. Make sure truck is not running during the jump start. Bring the battery inside and trickle charge till full. Then use a battery tester to check the battery. The battery tester will not lie, it will tell you EXACTLY how good your battery is, with no grey area. The battery tester costs about $20, which is well worth the cost. Auto parts store can test the battery for free.

yeah I've got a battery tester already :) Its now showing 9.20V... which tells me that the battery is recovering :)

If one wants to jump start the ski.. I need to replace the battery and do just like we do with cars... although without having the car running?

Thanks

A battery tester and a voltage meter are not the same thing. You don't need to have a battery in the ski to jump start it. Just hook the jumper cables up to the battery cables on the ski.

This is a battery tester:

image_21950.jpg

Well, its tests the battery's ability to perform. The tester puts a full load on the battery and measures the cranking amps that are being produced. Amps are what turn the engine over. Testing the voltage may determine if a battery is bad, but it can not determine if the battery is good. Once you buy a battery tester and use it a few times, its a real eye opener. The volts, the size, the age, etc mean nothing compared to what the tester can tell you about the battery. And its cut and dry, no guessing. The battery is good, or the battery is bad - period.

Bummer... It was back at 12V... tried it on the ski... it doesn't want to start... at lease the dash is now showing up... saying low battery.

I think its time to go shopping for a new battery

That is a pretty good indicator of a bad battery.

I had a new battery and after a couple of months, it would do that. It would charge to 12v and then drain under load.

That was why the other poster mentioned getting a battery tester. A tester will put a load on the battery and can tell if the voltage stays up or drops off.

At least with a new battery, you'll not be chasing your tail thinking that it might be other things. I'd suggest not getting a lead acid type battery though, they don;t seem to last nearly as long as an AGM type. Might have to do with all of the bouncing around and temperature flucuations.

A booster pack will work. Your battery may still be good, or it may be bad. As you know, voltage doesn't determine if its good or bad, unless of course it simply wont take any charge at all.

At this point, all I care is winterizing the ski.

Since were now getting some 2-3degree.. and at night sometimes under 0.

Ya, just fire it up with the booster pack, or with jumper cables. Put your battery on a 1.5A floating trick charger and leave it on until its being re-installed. Next season, test the battery before installing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back