battery not charging regulator/rectifier ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj2763

HEY GUYS NEW TO THIS JET SKI STUFF!! i HAVE A 1990 SEA DOO SP MY BATTERY IS NOT CHARGING i HAVE BEEN DOING SOME READING AND i THINK i HAVE THIS FIGURED OUT. MIND YOU i NEVER WORKED ON A CAR, JET SKI, LAWNMOWER NOTHING BUT I DO HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE ABOUT ELECTRICITY... I PULLED THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR MY SKI AND i KNOW THE WIRES THAT GO BACK TO MY BOX FROM THE STATOR TO CHARGE MY SKI ARE YELLOW/BLACK AND YELLOW. i DONT HAVE A VOLTAGE TESTER SO WHAT i DID IS A LITTLE CRAZY i DISCONNECTED THEM FROM THE REGULATOR AND ATTACHED WIRES TO THEM FIRED UP THE SKI AND TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER QUICK AND i GET A SPARK! i ASSUME THAT MY CHARGING COIL (STATOR) IS GOOD. I THEN HOOKED THEM UP TOO THE REGULATOR AGAIN i THEN ASSUME THAT THE RED WIRE COMING FROM MY REGULATOR IS WHAT GOES TO CHARGE MY BATTERY? SO i CONNECTED MY WIRE TO THAT AND FIRED UP MY SKI AND TRIED TO TOUCH THAT TO GROUND QUICKLY AND THERE IS NO SPARK SO i AM HOPPING i AM RIGHT TO THINK MY REGULATOR IS BAD COULD i GET CONFIRMATION ON THIS?

Regulators do wear out you could start with that. See if you can find a used one to test it with.

Tho Ive also had to replace my stator too..

Check the plug that goes into the mag cover for burnt pins.

Chances are your rectifier is burnt out, if you buy a cheep multimeter i can help you, it could spark even with really low voltage.

The quick way: Set the meter to DC Volts and put test on the battery terminals, you should have about 12.5V, start the ski and you should see it climb to around 13.5v. If it stays around 12 or drops then you arnt getting a charge

Then to test if its the mag or the rectifier:
With a multimeter set to AC volts unplug the rectifier, start the ski and test between the yellow wires from the mag housing, rev it a little and you should get up to 20V AC- if so the mag is ok.
If that is ok plug in the rectifier to the mag and set your meter to DC volts, start the ski again and test between the red and black for 12-14V DC- if not then you rectifier is burnt out.
If its all ok then check for a blown fuse between the rectifier and the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea I am getting nothing from the rectifier Red wire and black wire I think I am going to open it up and see if something is not connected or look for burnt components I will post a picture if I see something strange when I take the jell out

Chances are your rectifier is burnt out, if you buy a cheep multimeter i can help you, it could spark even with really low voltage.

The quick way: Set the meter to DC Volts and put test on the battery terminals, you should have about 12.5V, start the ski and you should see it climb to around 13.5v. If it stays around 12 or drops then you arnt getting a charge

Then to test if its the mag or the rectifier:
With a multimeter set to AC volts unplug the rectifier, start the ski and test between the yellow wires from the mag housing, rev it a little and you should get up to 20V AC- if so the mag is ok.
If that is ok plug in the rectifier to the mag and set your meter to DC volts, start the ski again and test between the red and black for 12-14V DC- if not then you rectifier is burnt out.
If its all ok then check for a blown fuse between the rectifier and the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back