Battery Life

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been putting my batteries on a maintainer once a month for about 24 hours during the down season. Seems to be doing well for the past couple years. I just replaced a 5 year old battery that would no longer hold a charge for more than a few days.

I've been putting my batteries on a maintainer once a month for about 24 hours during the down season. Seems to be doing well for the past couple years. I just replaced a 5 year old battery that would no longer hold a charge for more than a few days.
I use a Battery Tender Jr. on 2 of my cars, leave them connected almost all of the time. If I use one on the SEA DOO, what do I connect the black (negative) alligator clip to, part of the engine, or the trailer?

How long can I let my new GTI sit between rides without having to charge the battery.

It depends on they type of battery you have. The charger type matters too; it must be capable of charging the type of battery you have. Black clip goes to the negative battery terminal.

There is a ! WARNING ! In my service manual to “ Never charge or boost battery while installed in watercraft”

It is always much safer to disconnect the battery from the ski then charge it.

Btw: this was my 12th season on my boat batteries using a battery tender whenever they were not in the boat. Yes, they are the original Optima Blue Tops that came with my boat brand new in 2006.

Last edited:
I suspect the main reason SEA DOO says not to charge the battery while in the boat is the close proximity to the gas tank.

I suspect the main reason SEA DOO says not to charge the battery while in the boat is the close proximity to the gas tank.

That and the fact that when a flooded battery is charging it produces hydrogen gas which can also go Boom.

The flooded battery that came with my ski died after 2 seasons. I always pull the battery and keep it on a tender during winter. I don't have power available where I park my ski during the summer but 3 years on an AGM battery currently with no problems. I keep my boat on a battery tender year round in a lift and the original battery lasted 12 years.

My SEA DOO came with an AGM battery. I have had AGM batteries in my Miatas for many years and have had them last for 8-10 years. Battery Tender instructions call for the black (negative) wire to be grounded on the car body and not connected to the battery. Shouldn’t that also apply to the SEA DOO?

My SEA DOO came with an AGM battery. I have had AGM batteries in my Miatas for many years and have had them last for 8-10 years. Battery Tender instructions call for the black (negative) wire to be grounded on the car body and not connected to the battery. Shouldn’t that also apply to the SEA DOO?

My battery tenders have only ever been connected to batteries out of the vehicles, on a rubber mat on the garage floor so no ground wire to the car body and never had a single issue.

direct to the battery is always the best route. otherwise you are putting into play any corrosion or resistance of the battery cable into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back