Bad Post??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midmo

Still trying to figure out what my problem is.

Last time I ran this jet ski (96 GSX), the lanyard got pulled and it wouldn't start again (couldn't get the double beep when plugging it in). It set for a while - but put a new battery in it, new plugs, checked all the fuses (which were good).

I still have the same issue, when I plug in the lanyard - I don't get any beeps. I also don't have power to the guages at the moment. I've jumped the starter at the solenoid in the rear electical box. It sparks and turns over.

Just pulled the handlebar apart. I'm still guessing it is a bad post or lanyard - though I'm certainly not a mechanic. Anyway, pulled the handle bar apart and got to the back of the post. I've got three wires coming off of the post. One is black/yellow, another is black, and the third is white.

I've cleaned the post and didn't help. I followed this wire down into the front compartment and found where this harness plugs together. Pulled it apart and got my test light and hooked it to the wires running back to the electrical box. I can get light by putting the ground clip on the middle plug and touching the black/yellow wire plug. That is the only combination in which the light comes on. I've read where you can use a voltmeter to test this switch - but not really sure how to do that.

I've also tried to put it in the self-diagnostic mode (pull the lanyard, push start 5 x). I don't get anything when trying this either.

Can anyone tell me how to check and see if my post is bad (or might be able to tell based on the little info I've given)?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The black wire is ground. The other two wires use the black wire as common.

Here is what happens when you put a key on the post. There is a small reed switch in the post that connects to the black/yellow and black wire. The key has a magnet in it, so it closes the reed switch, effectively shorting the black/yellow and black wires together.

This turns on the MPEM. It begins sending out a signal on the White/Gray wire. The center post of the DESS post is connected to the White/Gray wire, and when you put the key on, it makes contact with both the center post and the ring on the post, which is connected to the black wire (ground) This signal "turns on" the key, and it sends the serial number of the key to the MPEM over the White/Gray wire. The MPEM reads this serial number, and if it matches one of the key serial numbers stored in memory, it activates the MPEM which sends out the two beeps. Once this happens, the key circuit is shut off. It no longer has any function, except that the magnet is needed to keep the MPEM alive. The short between Black/Yellow and Black must always be present to keep the ski running.

Static test
Take a volt meter and check to see if you have voltage at the cable going to the starter, if the starter has voltage you have a bad ground or a bad starter, the starter only needs 12 volts and a ground to work so it's easy to test.If the starter was shorted out you would have had a bad spark when you jumped the lugs on the solenoid. You can use an automotive jumper cable to the negative battery post and
the other end attached to the engine block. Then re-try. The neg cable will corrode
internally and not let enough current pass. The end lugs can be cut off and new soldered on and marine shrink-wrapped. Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back