auto trip / reset for vts fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axkiker

Anyone using the auto trip breakers as a VTS fix? Seems like I have heard about a few doing it.

any pros or cons... any idea as to a part number for the breakers?

thanks

I have heard the same. I never did find one that will fit. Would be good for someone to post it so we can all buy the same kind and know it works.

I bought about 20 7.5amp fuses. So don't care either way.

There are resetting breakers used in the automotive world on power windows. This is because people seem to hold the switch pretty often.

Something has to give,,, so they install the resetting breaker to save the wireng and the motors.

I have used them in many cases on lots of projects, I am certain they would work in the VTS as well..

There are resetting breakers used in the automotive world on power windows. This is because people seem to hold the switch pretty often.

Something has to give,,, so they install the resetting breaker to save the wireng and the motors.

I have used them in many cases on lots of projects, I am certain they would work in the VTS as well..

yup thats exactly what I was thinking about....... ill see what I can find out now that I have some direction. Mine is bad and I do not plan on replacing that whole stupid module.

The only down side I can see to this is that the gauge will not work. Or my first thoughts are that it will not work....

? Are you looking for a fix/replacement for the fuse, or a fix for the Vts system it's self? If you replace the fuse with the reset one, everything week work normally. But if you think it will fix a Vts black box issue, it will not.

? Are you looking for a fix/replacement for the fuse, or a fix for the Vts system it's self? If you replace the fuse with the reset one, everything week work normally. But if you think it will fix a Vts black box issue, it will not.

My thoughts were to replace the black box issue... Such as when you allow the unit to travel up or down to the max the breaker would trip then reset when released...

A very basic simple system. One breaker for up and one for down.

Am I missing something ??????

I think your thoughts are right on.

With a bit of digging you could likely get a workable gauge too. There is SOMETHING at the VTS that sends a signal to the box that then talks the gauge where to point. Much like a TPS works.

If you read the motor the amperage will be stamped or printed on it.

With a bit of digging you could likely get a workable gauge too. There is SOMETHING at the VTS that sends a signal to the box that then talks the gauge where to point. Much like a TPS works.

Yeah after thinking about it after the fact I think you are correct. If im not mistaken there is something in the box which measures resistance based upon the distance the vts has traveled. This is then used to manage the gauge. if so something could be adapted.

im gonna do some searching and order a few parts tonight. I think ill first tackle getting the thing to work.. then ill work on the gauge.

Yeah after thinking about it after the fact I think you are correct. If im not mistaken there is something in the box which measures resistance based upon the distance the vts has traveled. This is then used to manage the gauge. if so something could be adapted.

im gonna do some searching and order a few parts tonight. I think ill first tackle getting the thing to work.. then ill work on the gauge.

I agree,, get it operating and then look into a guage solution..

Run it through relays so that the OEM switch is not taking the load. Much safer for the switch, ski, and wiring,,,

What rating do you think the breaker should be rated for. Seems there are a lot of 20A ones available online. Not seeing many 10

I thimk a 5 or so amp breaker is the ticket. Isn't that circuit on a 7.5 amp fuse? If so the breaker needs to be smaller or it won't do anything.

That is a good point,,,

I was thinking of the motor itself. I would suggest to check the wiring well and look to see (if possible) what the motor is rated at. If so, that is what you need. The switch side would be low (hence the 7.5 amp fuse in the box).

I bet, if you could determine it, that the control box has larger amps to and from it ASSUMING the actual wires that operate the motor come from the box...

on the gauge, its a magnet/rod set up like the fuel baffels. most of the time the magnet has come off or out of contact with the rod. tho i have no idea what the resistance measurements are. for my customers i usually just install "the trim fix" gauge will work for them and as long as the vts boot is good, the motor is simi-safe.

i want to dig in to how the vts works on the newer 4-tecs and see if they can be retro-fitted. they move a lot faster then the older 2 strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back