Are the"performance" water intake grates worth it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastiejoe

I own two skis, but totally OEM. The RXT hits 70 MPH all day long (255 supercharged). My 2010 is a GTX 155 and hits 60 ish almost always.

Would a performance water intake make a difference in either out of the hole or top end performance? I have also read that they seem to help with cornering, if so, what is the improvement there?

Thanks in advance...

I'll just pass along info I've picked up myself here, and someone with greater knowledge will be able to give a little better explanation. Most intake grates help keep water coming in while in rough waters. So...in rough waters you won't notice a "miss" if you will, of water intake. But, they also produce more drag in smooth waters, thus losing some of your top end. It's truly a give and take situation, and from my understanding should be based on the type of water you ride

I would have to agree with your thoughts based on what I have read I do not get a miss with my fast ski and my girl wont ride fast when it is ruff out on the slower ski. Sooo, in my case, I am probably fine...

Joe, performance intake grates have taller rails (which improve handling in turns, and reduce cavitation by feeding water straight into the pump even during hard turns), and direct additional waterflow to the top of your pump... this is what the little wing in the performance intake grates is for actually, it forces some of the incoming waterflow to the top of your pump more evenly and fully loading your impeller.

There is a slight additional drag due to the little wing directing waterflow to the top of your pump, BUT this is offset by your impeller getting a better bite of water (ie. being fully loaded all the way around rather than having most of the waterflow going to the lower 2/3 of the impeller... now you have water 3/3 of the way around your impeller, and much less cavitation). Ergo, the slight increase in drag is offset by your pump becoming significantly more efficient. If you don't want ANY drag at all then you should take your stock grate out completely and run without an intake grate... will handle like crap cavitate and be impossible to drive straight or turn true, but you won't have any drag from an intake grate then! ;-)

I ran my RXT for about 2 hours of operation with the OEM intake grate before pulling it out and installing an R&D Aquavein performance grate, much much better handling and holeshot that'll stretch your arms out! Now keep in mind that I did the intake grate AND impeller upgrades at the same time of the winter months and didn't ride it with just 1 or the other, but the 2 upgrades really made it a monster on the water went from mild to WILD I've been much happier with the perfomance upgrades (and don't forget to fill those ride plate bolt recesses... they're seriously a drag it's easy and cheap to fill them with marine epoxy and sand them flush with the ride plate).

As far as why I chose the R&D Aquavein, quite simply it looks very similar to the performance intake grate I have in my Sidewinder jet boat (similar wing design, as opposed to the RIVA performance intake grate which looks backwards to me but probably does the exact same things).

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic info, really appreciate your details.

I am sold based on what I want and what you have said. The 3/3 thing makes perfect sense.
Like a supercharger on a car, it takes 1/3 of your horsepower to run it but it gives back a 2/3 of the boost. Thus,,, you gain 1/3 over-all.

Thanks much, looks like I have my winter project. Sadly, I have two skis and it will cost twice as much,,,,

I own two skis, but totally OEM. The RXT hits 70 MPH all day long (255 supercharged)....Would a performance water intake make a difference in either out of the hole or top end performance?...

Heh...you tell me. You have one on your t-x. ;)

Seriously...the oem grate on the xboats are huge...great hook up in the chop but massive drag. It's what's keeping you at or below 70...all day long....heh.

Put an R&D grate on that thing...improve your air and a taller prop...be at or near 74...gps...all day long...heh.:thumbsup:

Now..are they worth it for the average Joe?...lets say...runnin around on a 155 or a 130?..want's to beat his neighbor who just got a newer toy? No...imho...the slight hook up improvement would not be worth the expense of what lil speed I had.

I was wondering this specifically for my slower GTX.

I ride my RXT and let my guest give it a try once we are out a while. The difference is simply unreal. This is why I was wondering if a upgraded impeller and grate would help the GTX ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back