Anyone know if I can use my TomTom One on the water?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Ended up getting the only one they had at my walmart. Magellan Triton 400. It seems to do what I wanted the TomTom to do, but waterproof (not submergible) and you can get really cool topo maps. I am still trying to figure it out and get the maps on, so right now it is just green and blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the maps working. I am quite pleased, and wish I had bought this one BEFORE I bought the TomTom.

But, I cannot complain. The TomTom does VERY well in the car and on the streets. Just not the boat. Easy to read while driving, and talks to me telling me when to turn if I want it to.

I was checking out the maps too. Try doing a google search... I do some checking around for you too. I have a black and white garmin, a 12 and a 48 series that's like brand new still in the original box I'll sell ya. I think it would work in canada.... I own like 4 different gps's for my different boats I have.

Karl

been doing alot of searching and all i can find out is for canada i have toget the canada TOPO map only one i can find. So now im looking at the Colorado 300 witch is the same as the 400i & 400c but with out the pre loaded maps... Also are topo maps good for marine use. and whats the accuracy like with your colorado??? I need the best one i can get so i can get into my channel at night witch is almost impossible. i have to go through a 500 stretch of marsish-weedbed stuff with a clean path about 20ft wide with no lighted makers.

Be sure what ever GPS you get has a "track back" feature. That allows you to follow the exact track you took on your way out in the day light. That is the real important feature needed as you can just follow the same return route. I have noticed that if you watch closely during the day heading out, the gps might not have you exactly where the deep water is, as seen by eye due to the angle from the satellite. If you follow the return track it will be real close to the original route actually traveled, give or take +- 20' in either direction. If your in new territory the gps might not be too accurate but will be accurate on a return or "track back" to the original location. You get what you pay for in a GPS. I find the cheap ones are crap for any real navigation, but make a great paper weight for my charts...as a back up unit. I usually have 2 gps's on board my 26' Chris Craft when I'm going on any long distance trips in new territory. A hand held is perfect on my Speedster as it will indicate the water depth and track back if I get stuck out after dark.

Karl

Thanku very much for the help karl, also was wondering if you can use the track back feature with the base map or does it only work with pre loaded ones? being able to track my route is the #1 reason im buying a gps so just want to be sure. If i lived in the US or if garmin had canadian maps it would be alot easy. Ive email garmin but have not heard back from them, Blah!!!...

The track back feature will work without any map loaded.The view without the loaded map has no water depth or navagation markings, but the water/ land contours are in place. As you travel in your vessel the GPS leaves a small line that it uses to track back on return. If you run the same route over and over it will keep tracking till you stopit or delete a given route. On some gps's you can have different routes in different colors based on the tide heights too if you want so you don't go aground. What I do is run a route with all the way points and turns in place, and name it so I can just load it and run it in either direction going to or from a destination. It is real easy to keep track that way. With the "map" version loaded it shows all nav markings and depth contours including fuel, marine, docking and launches sites. I still keep charts on hand as a back up in case of Gps failure on my big boat, plus a hand held Gps too. I hate surprises and have NEVER gone aground or got lost.

If you go to Garmin's web site they have a list of all the maps available for all their products. Here is one link to lakes that border Canada https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1113&pvID=3052#coverageTab

Here is a discounted item that you might still be able to get. http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/MGCanadaRnR.jsp

Garmin is always quick to answer my questions...they might be closed down for the holiday.
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome info, i alway boat in the same area and have been for most of my life and dont go to other places to often so i dont really need water depth and navagation markings just need to be able to track my route.. LMAO me and some friends took a 25hp small fishing boat across the lake to a bar we did have a DD though, but on the way back we missed the channel by about 20 feet next thing i know theres 20ft bullrushes going by use ahahaha went right into the marsh, next day a couple of the neighbours were talking about how they could hear a couple of drunk "kids" that got stuck in the marsh around 3am i almost fell on the ground lmao.... dont want to be doing that with the seadoo, i think the colorado will be a good choice :cheers:

Other than the links I left in my previous post it looks like Garmin doesn't have any charts for Canada...which seems strange. That's the cool thing about a GPS...it will always show the dd the correct path to go. Try E-bay for a cheap one. You could always upgrade. I use my 48 series that is in black and white just for a back up for night use.

Karl

Darn, I wish I would have seen this thread before! I have a Tom Tom one and yeah you can... I don't recall exactly the function but there is one where you can choose WALKING mode... So it will trash the roads and stuff and will only show you the heading of where you want to go...

Patrick

I tried walking mode, but it kept trying to "walk" me to the roads.

I am very pleased with my Triton. Except that you have to download the topographic and satellite maps before you go to that area. Oh yeah...and pay for them.

You should have bought walmarts explorist as it will show a dotted line every were you went and would take you back to where ever you would like to return to within 3 feet and is about $100.00 LOL :rofl:

ok i know this thread is a lil dead, but i have the magellan crossover, comes with road nav, marine nav, and topos for foot travel/offroad

I ended up with the Magellan Triton 400, and I can download topo maps from Natl Geographic, or buy entire states off ebay for $20. So I now have my local waterways on topo and satellite (like google earth images) and all of Texas with roads and topo.

Pretty neat little device, semi-waterproof, and i got the suction-cup mounting doohicky for sticking it on the boat.

The TomTom is used in the car only, and the Triton is used for boat, hiking, and we have even done a couple of geocaches.

Back