any downsides to owning 1 new 150 speedster?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyoma

Hi All,
I'm thinking about buying a new 150 speedster but I have no experience with jet propulsion boats. (I have lots of experience with outboards from 13' to 30'). My intended use is saltwater (west coast of FL) primarily for my teenagers to learn how to handle a power boat, pull each other on skis/tubes/etc. I was going to buy a 15 foot boston whaler with a 60hp outboard but now I'm considering this instead. Do you know of any mechanical problems with these boats or any safety issues at all?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Once you enjoy the jet drive experience there is no going back!

In your case, since your gonna use it in saltwater I recommend the newer 4-tec Rotax powered boats. Closed loop cooling. Mind you, you'll still need to flush the exhaust manifold after each use.

I have owned both a Sterndrive and Jet drive boat. My brother currently owns a 150hp outboard on his hurricane. NOTHING compares to my 310hp Twin rotax Utopia 205. Forget everything you've heard about low speed maneuverability Its amazing on the rotax 4-tecs. Mind you I have the twin so I cant vouch for the single engine 150 speedster but I'm sure its quite capable. when on plane a jet boat is like a sportcar and pulling wakeboards, kneeboards or tubes will blow away a prop boat in terms of shear accelleration.

Craig

Thanks

Thank you for giving me your feedback so quickly, I should be making a desicion in the next few weeks. I am also glad that you are so enthusiastic about jet boats and my kids have test driven one and were very happy with it! As a thought, can you give an idea of what maintaning it may cost?

Thanks,
Carlo

Carlo,

Maintaining a jetboat is actually pretty simple. the Newer 4-tecs are obviously 4 strokes. They have crankcase oil like a regular engine. Engine coolant that gets changed at like 100 hours. They also have lube in the jet pump but thats pretty much it. Since there is no outdrive there is so much less to maintain or worry over.

You can do the work yourself however its the common concenses that you allow your dealer to perform at least the 10 hour service. This serves to not only develop the dealer relationship but makes BRP happy that the boat is being cared for and secures the warranty. For a single engine Seadoo your looking at around $250 for the 10 hour service. I intend to do the 100 hour service on my own.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back