Importing Speedster 150 from Canada to US (Sticker Locations & Entire Process)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I'm new to boating, but I'm an automotive enthusiast and hobbyist mechanic.

I've been researching Speedster 150's pretty heavily for about a month; I've learned a lot, but I still have some questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

I'm hoping to use this thread to not only get help from the community, but to share my knowledge and experience regarding the import process.

I'll start with my questions, as purchasing a boat across the border is contingent on my finding the answers to them.

I've been working Amanda at BorderBuddy.com (Customs assistance service) to make sure I satisfy CBP (US Customs and Border Patrol) requirements for entry of the boat AND trailer (both need independent certifications to cross) from Canada into the US. You can import a boat without a service like this or full fledged broker who can transport the boat for you (more $$$), but there is some lead time to acquire the necessary certifications/documentation; I'd suggest preparing a month in advance, but you could probably squeeze it in -10 business days if you try. This post is going to be a bit long so, I'll share what I know in reply.

The initial info I need on the boat from the seller before I make the 5hr trip there is:
-HIN (Hull Identification Number {no picture required})
-US EPA certification sticker on the boat or engine (picture required)
US EPA Sticker.JPG
-US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (or similar {varies by year?}) certification sticker (picture required)
trailer vin stickers.jpg

I've been talking/texting with a personal seller in Canada who has a 2012 Speedster 150 I like (Model {255HP} + exchange rate {$1USD = $1.34CAD}) for sale. I told him I'd need pictures certifying the boat/trailer are legal in the US, and he assured me he knew what I needed and would text me the images. The boat is stored at a lake house and I get the idea that it's not super close to his permanent residence. He's gone there twice now and sent me some pictures, but none of which are the certification stickers I need. He did send me a picture of a US Coast Guard certified for capacity which leads me to believe the relevant certifications are on the boat and trailer...somewhere. He's going to go back to take more pictures, but I'm worried his patience is drawing thin with the prolonged investigation so I'm hoping to advise him on the sticker locations in case this is the last effort he'll make for an international buyer before he resigns himself to selling locally.

Could you let me know where these stickers (or similar {may vary by year/manufacturer [trailer]/region}) are on your boats (and/or engine?) and trailers? Pictures would be great, but I'll take what I can get; written locations are welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back