antifreeze in bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster32940

2008 Speedster 200 with 200-ish hours on 155's. Noticed green antifreeze in bilge in the driveway after taking it out for the 3rd time this summer. Port engine reservoir was about 1/2 low, so I topped it up. Point of note is that when starting it for the first time this season, no antifreeze came out, as had prior times after being winterized. Did they maybe screw up & not winterize properly? Was thinking they maybe used compressed air to blow out the jet or something so I didn't question int until now. Where should I be looking for a leak if that is the case? Any permanent engine damage possible from topping it up and using until I can get it in a different shop (7 weeks out)? Anybody know a good repair shop in the Central NY area?

There are two separate cooling systems in these boats, the closed loop for the engine with regular automobile type antifreeze which is sounds like you are seeing, and the open loop for the exhaust which uses the outside water, not antifreeze. The exhaust system is sometimes winterized by adding antifreeze which should be the non-toxic "RV" type of antifreeze and is completely separate from the engine cooling system.

I don't think these systems really cross anywhere that a failure to winterize the open loop system could cause a leak in the closed loop system. I would just look over carefully for where the leak might be, hoses are usually the first suspects. I think the only risk of topping up and continuing to run is that depending on where it is, a small leak could quickly become a large leak and you could have an overheating situation before you know it.

I would not put the boat in the water until you get this figured out. Go to harbor freight and buy a cooling system pressurizing tool kit. Pump your system up to 10-15psi and start looking for your leak.

There are two separate cooling systems in these boats, the closed loop for the engine with regular automobile type antifreeze which is sounds like you are seeing, and the open loop for the exhaust which uses the outside water, not antifreeze. The exhaust system is sometimes winterized by adding antifreeze which should be the non-toxic "RV" type of antifreeze and is completely separate from the engine cooling system.

I don't think these systems really cross anywhere that a failure to winterize the open loop system could cause a leak in the closed loop system. I would just look over carefully for where the leak might be, hoses are usually the first suspects. I think the only risk of topping up and continuing to run is that depending on where it is, a small leak could quickly become a large leak and you could have an overheating situation before you know it.
Thanks much for the explanation

I would not put the boat in the water until you get this figured out. Go to harbor freight and buy a cooling system pressurizing tool kit. Pump your system up to 10-15psi and start looking for your leak.
Good idea, did that & will test it today. Thanks

Update, I found one of the hoses on the rear of the engine did not have a clamp on it. Don't know the term for the part of the engine, but it is where several of the coolant hoses converge at the rear of the engine (would be interested to learn what that part is) but the hose entering from the bottom did not have a clamp. I put one on there (no fun to work on these engines, the access is terrible) and then put the pressure testing unit on the engine. It held for several hours at about 12 lbs, with no leaks. Took it out on the river & ran it for a few hours, no leaks. Assume that was the problem & it is now solved. Hooray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back