Almost All Sea-Doo Models - Oil Tank Bottom Grommet (293720008) and Red Elbow (293710051) Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmay3

Certainly someone has come up with a fix for this awful design on the bottom of the oil tank, seems like every season I have to replace the grommet. Would be great if someone would come out with some kind of compression type vs this push in.

Not to mention the 2 piece leaking tanks, luckily I replaced my with an old school 1 piece seamless tank, but still fighting the bad grommet design. I’ve been draining my oil for the winter, but every year I grab the red elbow and if it rotates a little, it will leak by mid-season if it’s not on first refill.

Need an aftermarket company to redesign a 1 piece tank with screw on compression fittings and end the problems, they could charge probably $150 and everyone would pay it.

One year I did try a thin o-ring between the base of the red elbow and tank, theory was to pull down on elbow to engage the elbow locking device into the grommet more, but still not much better.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 44
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Are you using OEM grommets?
Once I replace them with new OEM I haven’t had a single one leak and the oldest one is 9 years old now.

I did notice the last one ordered was not, it was a JSP Manufacturing, ordered OEM, see what happens...

I realize this thread is very old, but the topic is current. Does anyone have a solution for the leaking grommet?

The SPI takes two grommets 709200285 and 707800347 available from any Seadoo dealer. I would suggest our site sponsor Seadoo Warehouse

Use new OEM parts, replace every other year. Seen no good alternatives. Drain oil tank for a cold storage location.

If you have the tank leaking issue (New style 2 piece), find and original one piece unit on eBay. Also, don't fill tank over half (above split), no reason to carry nearly an entire seasons oil onboard.

Replacing with an OEM grommet has worked for me. I just replaced mine last week, and it had been about 10 years or more since the last one.

Certainly someone has come up with a fix for this awful design on the bottom of the oil tank, seems like every season I have to replace the grommet. Would be great if someone would come out with some kind of compression type vs this push in.

Not to mention the 2 piece leaking tanks, luckily I replaced my with an old school 1 piece seamless tank, but still fighting the bad grommet design. I’ve been draining my oil for the winter, but every year I grab the red elbow and if it rotates a little, it will leak by mid-season if it’s not on first refill.

Need an aftermarket company to redesign a 1 piece tank with screw on compression fittings and end the problems, they could charge probably $150 and everyone would pay it.

One year I did try a thin o-ring between the base of the red elbow and tank, theory was to pull down on elbow to engage the elbow locking device into the grommet more, but still not much better.

Attachments

• oil tank.jpg
    oil tank.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back