Air filters !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

NEZZA

Seeing what people think regarding air filters.
Yes it makes the engine breath better etc. I've seen them actually in the engine bay but surely this will just suck in hot air and that's not good.

Also seen them at the front were the original box filter goes.
Has anybody placed a cone filter to the front to replace the original box ?

Seadoo GXT 300

What is there is there by design to balance out noise with performance.

You might be able to trade off the noise reduction for a straight cone but I would guess the increase would be negligible.

The best would be a cold air type setup it this is difficult with any PWC because of the water risk.

What is there is there by design to balance out noise with performance.

You might be able to trade off the noise reduction for a straight cone but I would guess the increase would be negligible.

The best would be a cold air type setup it this is difficult with any PWC because of the water risk.

Agree. You will never get a cold air feed like a car would have a direct cold air feed. Only way would be if you use the ski for drag runs that's it. I just thought the front would be cooler than in the engine bay..

You should remember that under way, there is a lot of airflow into the engine compartment so it IS relatively cool...obviously you get heat-soak conditions whilst idling around, etc...but once you are at cruising speed, you ARE getting cool air to the engine. As MacSeaDoo notes, the system is place is there for a reason.

I am just wondering... why you would ever compromise the original Sea-Doo design of the air intake system?

Is there something that you are trying to do here by changing a near bullet proof OEM intake system?

I am just wondering... why you would ever compromise the original Sea-Doo design of the air intake system?

Is there something that you are trying to do here by changing a near bullet proof OEM intake system?

I call it tinkering 😉

They still have the air filter just either factory or a code design that's after market.
I've been looking through the manual to see a replacement schedule, haven't come
Across it yet. Oh, thanks for the speedy reply, and Happy Easter is it applicable.

I believe Yamaha's have an air filter, but SeaDoo relies on a very long air intake system to reduce water intrusion. I have changed Yamaha air filters that have a bunch of sludge and water at the bottom of the filter housing, so I am kind of a fan of no air filter right now. Caveat: all of my experience is with pre-2012 Yamaha and SeaDoo watercraft.

I have always been curious as to why no air filters on a Seadoo. There is a water soak risk to the filter, but I think that is largely minimal. I have thought that there isn’t much dust on a river and lake. I can’t remember ever going thru dust and dirt. A few bugs occasionally, but they don’t really make it into the intake system. Any dust and dirt likely falls into the water near the shore and doesn’t make it to the ski. So I guess they don’t really need air filters.

Most of the 4tec boats have air filters. As mentioned above, the air is very clean above the water and they can handle high humidity air through the motor where paper filters can get damp and restrict flow.

Back