aftermarket mikuni spark arrestor adapter thingies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H€PHÆ$TU$

When I first got my 1998 Sportster 1800 (dual single-carb 717's) the PO had some aftermarket open-element air filters / arrestors on it. They used an aluminum adapter on the top of the carb that basically turned it into a flared hose connection so that the rubber elements could clamp onto them. I had some issues with the engines for a long time and it was hypothesized that those were part of the problem and that going back to stock air boxes were the fix. Well, the problems got fixed, but that wasn't the resolution. I have no desire to go back to the aftermarket elements permanently, but I'm having new issues now that require me to tune the carbs intermittently and it is impossible to access the adjusters while out on the water with the stock air boxes on the motors. I've been doing it without the boxes at all, just open intake, but I'm afraid I'm going to drop a bolt or something in there while wrenching in the waves. I'd like to cover it up with something functional as a temporary measure and my old aftermarket intakes would be perfect, but I threw away those adapters long ago.

So my question is, what are those adapters called, or where can I get them?

Yes, I know the factory intakes are imperative to proper fuel flow. I'm not worried about that for now. Please spare me that lecture.

You can't tune it without the airboxes because they change the air and fuel flow and you shouldn't have to mess with the screws once they are set so you have something else going on.

Yes, I know the factory intakes are imperative to proper fuel flow. I'm not worried about that for now. Please spare me that lecture.

You can't tune it without the airboxes because they change the air and fuel flow and you shouldn't have to mess with the screws once they are set so you have something else going on.

Do you know the adapters that I speak of? Their official name or a link would be helpful.

It depends on the brand of the aftermarket spark arrestors, there were like 6 different companies that made them and none were the same.

It depends on the brand of the aftermarket spark arrestors, there were like 6 different companies that made them and none were the same.

Huh? I don't think you are understanding me. A link to literally ANY of them would suffice. I just need something, anything (besides the factory intake), to temporarily keep foreign objects out of my intake. Right now I don't have anything but stock and I need ANYTHING BUT stock. (Preferably cheap since it's just temporary.)

I've tried but the screens keep bouncing out. I'm going to try alligator clips as a temporary measure to hold them in next time I'm out. Also, next time I have it apart, I'm going to look closer at the metal frames that hold the plastic on to see if I can install them upside down without the plastic just to hold the screen in place. This thread is my backup plan in case none of that works. I like to think ahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back