Advice Needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ondmove

I am searching for 2 decent skis and will be looking at some tonight and the next couple days. What specifically should I be looking for when buying used PWC? Tonight it is 1998 GTX - 782cc and 1998 GTX Limited - 991cc. Can I buy these without running them in the water? Help!

buying used

I am searching for 2 decent skis and will be looking at some tonight and the next couple days. What specifically should I be looking for when buying used PWC? Tonight it is 1998 GTX - 782cc and 1998 GTX Limited - 991cc. Can I buy these without running them in the water? Help!
As a regular poster here says, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend?" and that really covers a lot of ground, any watercraft should be tested on the water unless the selling price is lowered about as much as a replacement engine costs - most older seadoo cost around 2K installed, someone who has reciepts for routine service or can show you where the grease goes every 3 months could be trusted more than someone who has a cruddy engine bay and dock bruises as plentiful as teenagers acne - read here a lot about what size motor/hull/bimini tops and choose slowly, the shinyest loudest boat could catch on fire the next day if a fuel line falls off draining into the bilge and a mechanic who smokes gets close enough to give the fumes ignition.

I haven't got to see these two skis yet, but plan on it tonight. They have approx. 120 hrs on each - this seems low for 12 years old. I will ask about the grease and oil changes, maintenance records, etc... What about when I take them out on the water (which I am) - what / how should I prove to myself they are 'good to go'? He wants $5,000 for both with a 2006 double trailer. Anyone - thoughts on this price?

If they are clean... the price is right.

As far as buying a used ski... it's hard to say, but just use your head, and don't be in a rush to buy. Look the ski over... it should be clean, inside and out. (this shows neglect) They should be compleat... including the owners manual. It's not a big deal if they don't come with the skis... but it's a refection on the person selling.

Low hours doesn't mean a thing with watercraft. Most people buy them, and then let them sit after the "Newness' wears off. (in some ways that's worse than high hours)

The seller shoudl be able to tell you exactly what oil he has been using. SeaDoo's only like API-TC oil. If he holds up a jug of TC-w3 boat oil... DO NOT BUY THEM.

Look inside for any signs of hull repaire. I personally won't buy a patched ski. Touch up paint (or gel coat) is fine, but no patched fiberglass.

When you get there, the engines should be cold, and then they should start relatively easy. If they have been sitting... it could take a few seconds of cranking to start. BUT... if the engines are warm... the seller could be trying to hide something by making sure they will start.

If that all looks good, take them fora test ride. They should start, idle, and accelerate as soon as you pop the throttle open.

Finally... you probably won't get a dealer to look at them for you right now. This is the beginning of the PWC season, and I'm sure they are EXTRA busy with fixing stuff that won't start. Not to mention, most SeaDoo dealers sell motorcycles... and that season just started too.

Good luck :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
yep i second that notion... for that reason i bought 2 '97 gtx's this winter off the dock from a guy in tx (lives across the lake from my pops) i paid $2800 for em but when i got em home sank another $1000... in my book well worth it, but im a GEARHEAD... and would not have gotten em if i did a little more research, would have looked around more and found something a lil more cleaner for a lil more loot... now its summer, and we're "almost ready for the water... could already be there had i done more research... buy somethin that has been maintained, you'll be able to tell..... and for your other question....hells yes water test it, and ride it hard at any cost.... your planing on spending your hard earned dollars!!!! hope this helps!

oh and p.s. had to buy a trailer dude didnt have one... that was another $885... but well spent got a double Zeiman w/ 14"did rims... love it

I can speak from first hand experience, if at all possible get the ski's in the water for a true test. I have a 96 gtx and 2001 gti both purchased at the same time WITHOUT putting in water, mistake, HUGE mistake. Both ski's needed a great deal of work to even make them reliable. If not for the help of everyone on this forum who knows how much these repairs would of cost. It is helpful if you do understand the basics and aren't afraid of wrenching on these yourself.

Hours can certainly be misleading, the gtx I purchased only had 23.5 hours, so much for low hours.

Good luck to you, be patience don't impulse buy and for sure if you have questions there is a wealth of knowledge and people willing to help on this forum.

me too one of my 97's only had 24 hrs on it it was the old ladies i guess, was a pos.. thats the one i jus got runnin last night.

Price is right....if they jump outta the hole, and rev to around 6800-7k, ur good to go.

good feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys. The seller said he ran them for about 4 hours each over Memorial Day weekend and they ran great. I'm going to take them out on the lake tonight. Anything 'propulsion-wise' that I can inspect from the outside when they are on the trailer?

you'll know propulsion wise when you ride them... i would find out the last time he serviced the jet pump.... if they dont jump outta the hole or feel powerfull when you get on em, there may be a propulsion prob... but again you'll be able to feel it

Ask when the jet oil was changed last - it should be done in the springtime each season, this is when to do the work as Tony said all the shops are backed up with work now that school is out.

New Owner

Ran both these machines Saturday morning and they ran great. Thanks for the advice on this forum so far.
1997 GTX
1998 GTX Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back