Adding additional speakers and subs/amps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Sea-Doo 210SE Challenger currently has the factory installed stereo and speakers. 2 aft and 2 stern speakers, and the remote on the swim platform.

I am taking this up to an 8 speaker set up with 2 10" subwoofers and 2 amps. Has anyone installed subwoofers, and if so where did you place them?

I am thinking of putting a set of speakers right beside the lounge seats on swim platform as there appears to be seat operational clearance. Has anybody else done this?

A "wake tower" is not an option as I have way to many bumps on my noggin already.

Please, your thoughts on spreaker sub location???

Not giving direct advice for your application, but you can pretty much put a sub(s) most anywhere and get the benefit, since bass sound is non-directional. Now, depending on what type of sub(s) you go with, will determine where you might be forced to place it. If it's a powered sub-tube, then you will have to figure out how to route power to it/them in addition to the input signal wires. If you put in sub(s) that are simply round speakers, then you'll have to cut holes in the fiberglass for them...and you'll want to make sure that there is enough of a "hollow" behind the hole for the sub to get some resonance...else it won't sound that great. Plus, locating where you put an amplifier can be a bit tricky. If you don't get one that is marine grade, then you need a dry location to install it. Make sure you use the correct sized wire and fuses for your projected wattage. And you'll want to make sure you have enough battery capacity to start the engine(s) and run the stereo. I don't know which engine you have on your Challenger, but if it's a Rotax, then the magneto charging capacity isn't that great. So you might want to consider installing an additional battery strictly for your stereo components and possibly an external charger connection to make it easier to charge that battery that won't be charged by the boat's engine unless you also install a special dual battery switch like the Blue Sea Add-a-Battery switch. Blue Sea Add-A-Battery Switch

What I'm REALLY trying to get at is that there are several more considerations to upgrading the stereo on a boat, than just adding more speakers. I feel sure you had already thought about these things, but just want you to be informed before you start your project!

Not giving direct advice for your application, but you can pretty much put a sub(s) most anywhere and get the benefit, since bass sound is non-directional. Now, depending on what type of sub(s) you go with, will determine where you might be forced to place it. If it's a powered sub-tube, then you will have to figure out how to route power to it/them in addition to the input signal wires. If you put in sub(s) that are simply round speakers, then you'll have to cut holes in the fiberglass for them...and you'll want to make sure that there is enough of a "hollow" behind the hole for the sub to get some resonance...else it won't sound that great. Plus, locating where you put an amplifier can be a bit tricky. If you don't get one that is marine grade, then you need a dry location to install it. Make sure you use the correct sized wire and fuses for your projected wattage. And you'll want to make sure you have enough battery capacity to start the engine(s) and run the stereo. I don't know which engine you have on your Challenger, but if it's a Rotax, then the magneto charging capacity isn't that great. So you might want to consider installing an additional battery strictly for your stereo components and possibly an external charger connection to make it easier to charge that battery that won't be charged by the boat's engine unless you also install a special dual battery switch like the Blue Sea Add-a-Battery switch. Blue Sea Add-A-Battery Switch

What I'm REALLY trying to get at is that there are several more considerations to upgrading the stereo on a boat, than just adding more speakers. I feel sure you had already thought about these things, but just want you to be informed before you start your project!
Yes, I will be adding a 2nd battery and battery switch...one to run stereo when we are just swimming and chilling, one to start the engines. I will be carrying a Jump box as well, hopefully to render aid to another boater. I was originally going to use 2 subs on my boat, but have since determined it would be BASS overload so I am just adding one. I am placing that 10" sub in the forward area starboard drivers console storage area...one for shortest wire routing for the amp/sub, and 2. because the wind gate already sticks out on that side so it will not be an obstacle to go around, and 3. because it is about 1/2 way point in the boat.
Also adding 1 set of speakers around driver/passenger console area, and another set on the left/right of swim platform lounge seating as there is clearance there as well.
Thank you for your imput on this!
Now I have to find a buyer for my second subwoofer 10" Rockford Fosgate Marine !

Hey Doug ! I added an entire system to my 2012 Challenger last year along with the Mini Add-A Battery-Plus system along with a second battery. I have a Rockford Fosgate Head Unit that just fits the old factory space, a Kenwood 1600 watt Marine Amp, 2 Kicker 10" Subs, 2 Kicker 8" speakers in the stern, 2 Kicker 5-1/4" speakers in the bow and lastly 2 kicker 5-1/4" speakers mounted in each kick plate for the captain and passenger. I mounted the subs in seating compartment right behind the captain and passenger seats. Had just enough room to squeeze the one in between to side and battery switch and then matched it up onthe opposite side. It took a lot of work and planning but it turned out well and the boat really kicks now !! Here is the link to my entire install with pics...
2012 210 Challenger Audio Upgrade !
You can also look at my other posts for info on how I installed the new battery plus system. Hope this helps and feel free to let me know if you have any questions !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back