99 xpl advice needed pls help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

campinitos

I took the head off my 99 xpl 957, and the rear piston was completely crumbled away like tiny stones. On good advice I've stripped it down further removing the cylinders over the piston, and I've found that the con rod is completely bent, the cylinder is scored slightly, and it's thrown the needle bearings and piston pin. I understand many things could cause this including overheating right? How could I have avoided this?

I don't know a lot about engines, but I'm guessing it would need a recon crank, piston kit, rebore and new head minimum? Is there anything else I should price up?

Also how can I ensure this never happens again?

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers guys

go thru the carbs, and check/toss out, the injuection pump system, and go premix.

If going premix, you can eliminate the oil tank, since yuor motor is a "reed" set-up, no need for oil bath.

Cheers mate.

Is this difficult to do? It sounds fairly straight forward. Should I install any inline fuel filters too?

So what do you think about the bent con rod? Is this a complete crank renewal?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm banging my head big time with this ski. I've only been out on it once! Gutted! :banghead:

yup, new crank assy. The oil pump is cake. Undo the 2-allen bolts, securing it to the mag cover, remove the shaft, then re-install pump, if you dont invest in block-off kit, or getta piece of stainless steel plate, thin plate, and mount it, to where the pump goes. Like you said, real easy, straight forward.

I had a closer look last night and the damage is not looking good. I've priced up the parts and it comes to over $1500 over here. I'm unsure what to do with the ski now. I've had zero luck with skis so far:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back