99 GSX 787 cranking issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

69 Mach1

I have a 99 sea-doo GSX 787 that is have a starting issue. Starts right up, but after you drive it for 1/2 hour and try to restart, it turns over for about 2 seconds and stops. No clicking, no noises, it just turns over and quickly stops. New battery, just wondering if I'm looking at a start/stop switch?, or what will cause it to stop turning over so quickly? Thanks

Well thats a tough one, yesterday it would not start, but it will only turn over for a second and then stops. If I could get it to turn over longer, I am confident it would run, but I gave up after trying 10 times. I am trying to post a video of what its doing. Thanks

here is a quick video, if it would crank a little longer it would start. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4248_Trim3.zip
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 5
So it’s turning over. The bendix is disengaging the starter and then it quits cranking until you hit the button again...

Yes, it’s turns over fine, but the starter quits engaging the bendix but still spins the starter. Thanks

I'd isolate the problem, with a DMM, do a continuity test with the start/stop switch. Then disconnect the starter + cable at the solenoid and check the continuity if it's constant when pressing the button. It's either the start/stop switch, the solenoid, or the starter.

Starter may be going bad, I had one that would jump with a constant 12 volts applied. I rebuilt it for less than $20 and it stopped doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back