98 xp not revving high enough

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

redrider

hello all...

like the header says, my 98 xpl will not rev past 5500-6000 when in the water, although it revs fine(7-8000) out of the water. this problem is consistent even though the machine runs great and without hesitation. i've checked the plugs every time i ride and one is brownish, the other is a little blacker but nothing out of the ordinary. the machine is in almost showroom condition as it sat in storage for about 4-5 years and i'm thinking that has caused this problem since it ran fine before storage. i have cleaned the sediment bowl, which was not too bad however i have not been out on it since. could there be a sticking valve or rev limiter causing this? a handful of times it has shot up to 7000rpms in the water instantly, but right back down to 5500rpms seconds later.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Most likely a fuel delivery problem. When on land it doesn't take much power to rev up to max rpm, but then in the water it'll take full power to get to full rpm. Having a clogged up fuel filter is often the cause of problems like these.

hi we had this problem with a 98 seadoo xp limited, it was the four fingered reed valve things in the carbies. sent it into the shop and they fixed it easy......

Syncro?

Have you checked to ensure the carbs are in sync? One carb running WOT while the other isn't quite there, will keep you down too. There shouldn't be a rev limiter problem since that's handled by the mpem and it doesn't appear that your having an electrical problem.
Also, if it's been sitting up a while, the RAVE valves may be sticking. They directly affect the power on the upper end. They are suppose to be cleaned annually. There are threads and posts in the forum that discuss these valves, maintenance and operation.
And if you haven't done it, I'd do a compression check. Sitting a 2-cycle engine up without running it from time to time, doesn't do the engine good. The rings on the pistons can be sticking, lowering your compression causing lower speed and performance.
Let me know how you come out and if you do the compression test, please post the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this could do anything or not but in my research to fix mine I have found several problems linking to the oil. I know mine had a hi grade TC1-2-3 oil in it when I got it. If you read the label on the oil it says for injected oil systems and everything else. But that oil is not for the sea doo. like I have (96 spx) You have to use a pwc oil that is not those standards You will see that if you read the oils specs.. I only know this because a boat doctor here told me he has had to remove the oil from several units and repace it with the right spec to get them to run right. I do not not know and am just repeating what I was told but I did see the different spec. on the oil bottle

Correct!

Your absolutely correct!........The standard TCW-3 or any NMMA certified oil is not useable in the Seadoo's. It must be a low ash oil. I don't have a Seadoo dealer near me, so I use the Quicksilver brand of synthetic oil in my 97 model 787. On the back, it does come recommended as an OEM equalivant to the Seadoo brand. Also, if your running mineral oil, do not just pour in a synthetic blend. You need to continue to use the brand your using unless you completely remove all the oil.
As for the oil causing the problem. I haven't heard of that as a problem in the past. Usually, they'll just lock up.

Hi, do yourself a big favor and have the carbs removed, disassembled and cleaned. Make sure new diaphrams are installed and the filters inside the carbs are either cleaned or replaced. Five years of storage had to be bad on the carbs. Your engine is probably running lean because of dirt and sticking diaphrams inside your carbs. Running your engine like this will only lead to burning one or both of your pistons and you really don't want that. Don't try adding a fuel system cleaner to the gas in hopes of cleaning the carbs. It has never fixed a mikuni carb yet and may only make matters worse.
GOOD LUCK, DENNIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back