RESTO 98 Speedster 787 Engine Not Starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYmayfield

Quick recap, last year both engines were extremely hard to start,would die randomly and i was barely able to get it home (i live on the KY river) So i decided to rebuild the carbs,and rave valves.

Port engine started right up on the first push, starboard negative. It would crank and or start to fire but never stay going. Pulled those carbs 2 times to double check i rebuilt them correctly and they were all good. At this point it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel, starter fluid would have it go for a second or two then die. Replaced the fuel pump and nothing changed, new spark plugs still nothing. Tested Spark and it was good, battery is good bc i can start the port engine. The needles are set exactly the same on the port and starboard engines. Compression on the engine is 140, adding an extra ground to the engine didn't help either. I also made sure the engine is pulling fuel.

Maybe a fuel line is collapsing but they are big lines? Any Ideas or suggestions on what to check? Help please

You getting spark? If so, pull the carbs, look thru the intake and crank the engine over. Do you see the holes opening and closing?

You getting spark? If so, pull the carbs, look thru the intake and crank the engine over. Do you see the holes opening and closing?
Late response, had my wisdom teeth removed and its been crazy hot outside. I looked and dont see the rotary valve spinning

Well, that's no bueno. Time to dig in
I pulled the rotary valve cover and both it and the valve felt smooth. I pulled the Spark plugs to turn the engine by hand and it's smooth and easy but like i said before the rotary valve and sprocket don't turn. If i pull the snap ring will that shaft slide out?

Supposedly, I've never done that with the engine assembled.. I use an 1-1/2 PVC pipe cap, drill a hole in the center, use a washer and a long screw and you can easily and safely extract the shaft.

Supposedly, I've never done that with the engine assembled.. I use an 1-1/2 PVC pipe cap, drill a hole in the center, use a washer and a long screw and you can easily and safely extract the shaft.

what on the shaft could have broken? I'm looking at the parts layout and only see a sprocket that could affect it turning

Bingo. If that stripped it's game over. It won't spin. But then you need to find out why. Typically the driver great on the crank slides over. But in the 787 there isn't much room to slide.

Bingo. If that stripped it's game over. It won't spin. But then you need to find out why. Typically the driver great on the crank slides over. But in the 787 there isn't much room to slide.
You were right,defiantly the problem. No that I'm replacing the gear how do i fill the bottom end with oil? I can't see anywhere to add it.
IMG_8906.jpg

So, do you see any damage anywhere else? That rotary valve either stopped suddenly via a bolt dropped in there or the gear on the crank shaft slipped to one side.

So, do you see any damage anywhere else? That rotary valve either stopped suddenly via a bolt dropped in there or the gear on the crank shaft slipped to one side.
With the engine still in the boat it's hard to tell but everything seems tight and ok. Maybe just a little dirty nowIMG_9034.jpgIMG_9028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back