98 GTX LTD paint for Deflector

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

I have to replace the deflector on my ski and want to paint it to match. Anyone know where I can get the aztec red paint? Or does anyone have the color codes and amounts so I can get it made?

You can go to a local paint store.... a friendly one, and they can help you match but it won't match. I'd suggest picking a metallic Black and repaint the deflector and the handle bar cover. That usually looks pretty nice. If you want the red to match I'd suggest repaiting the hood and all the parts. It is a pain if you don't have booth which I don't. :) Good Luck !!

etemplet, thanks for the reply. Good idea!
Maybe ......I will paint it all a different color, From what I have learned you really cant paint the bottom hull...right? You have to use a tinted gel coat. Is that true for the upper storage cover too, it seems like it has a gel coat on it.
Or maybe I can get away with one of those decal wraps, they seem to cover a lot of the body.
Any one got any ideas let me hear them.

I use Base Clear Automotive paint on the hood. That works fine. A number of people have painted the upper hulls and not used Gelcoat. I did that to a 1996 XP I have. I would not even attempt to Re-GelCoat. I've had a lot of success restoring Gelcoat by sanding, compound, and Polish. Gotta remember these are old skis, the paint doesn't have to be perfect. If it looks good from 15' you are golden. :D

Concerning repainting the bottom of the hull, I purchased some hull paint (black) and plan to repaint the bottom of my 2000 RX.
On a side note; matching paint with the camera color match system is fantasy. It will get you close but the formulas have changed as well as the materials used. I don't even use it. I get the color strips and compare.
Good Luck!

I use Base Clear Automotive paint on the hood. That works fine. A number of people have painted the upper hulls and not used Gelcoat. I did that to a 1996 XP I have. I would not even attempt to Re-GelCoat. I've had a lot of success restoring Gelcoat by sanding, compound, and Polish. Gotta remember these are old skis, the paint doesn't have to be perfect. If it looks good from 15' you are golden. :D

Concerning repainting the bottom of the hull, I purchased some hull paint (black) and plan to repaint the bottom of my 2000 RX.
On a side note; matching paint with the camera color match system is fantasy. It will get you close but the formulas have changed as well as the materials used. I don't even use it. I get the color strips and compare.
Good Luck!
Thanks for all the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back