98 GSX LTD - Fuel Line and carb diagram???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I picked up the small factory lines, and low and behold, no restrictor in there at all. It was an um-molested set, with the factory crimps still on it. No restrictor. I can straighten out the lines and see right through it. So what does this mean? Also, the way the lines hooked up were different than what I was shown. They fit perfectly on but in different positions. Here is a few pics of what it looks like now.
Completed thus far small lines1.jpg.jpgCompleted thus far small lines 2.jpg.jpgCompleted thus far small lines 3.jpg.jpg

Attachments

• Completed thus far small lines1.jpg.jpg
    Completed thus far small lines1.jpg.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Completed thus far small lines 2.jpg.jpg
    Completed thus far small lines 2.jpg.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Completed thus far small lines 3.jpg.jpg
    Completed thus far small lines 3.jpg.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
I would call Nick. All the ones I have seen have them and the parts diagram shoes one for your ski. It should be in the line from the carb to the Acc pump.

Okay mikidymac, please I hope I have not offended you, but that is what Nick said.
However, I have seen so many posts about the restrictors I am going to make one. So, with that in mind please take a look at this picture here and tell me is the restrictor supposed to be in the hose with the green or blue circle? Also could someone look at this page and tell me if changing the oil in the counterbalance thing or area is something I should do before I go through all the trouble of putting it all back together. The ski only has a little over 100 hours. I do not have the motor out right now, but if its needed then I would rather do it now rather than later. Thanks in advance as usual, and I do greatly appreciate all the help I have gotten so far and look forward to helping others as I learn more.
green or blue.jpg

No offense at all.
The restrictor doesn't go in either of those. It goes in the single hose from the base of the carb up to the pump.
Please follow this link...http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/sea/500d89bef8700209082585ce/carburetors
#72 on the diagram is the restrictor jet in question.

I would also check with [MENTION=17278]SabrToothSqrl[/MENTION] as he knows the 951 better than most.

As far as the balancer I would do it now. Most use a turkey baster to suck out the old oil and put the new in.

Awesome, thanks. I am going to pick one up today. I think a local shop has some in stock.

No offense at all.
The restrictor doesn't go in either of those. It goes in the single hose from the base of the carb up to the pump.
Please follow this link...http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/sea/500d89bef8700209082585ce/carburetors
#72 on the diagram is the restrictor jet in question.

I would also check with [MENTION=17278]SabrToothSqrl[/MENTION] as he knows the 951 better than most.

As far as the balancer I would do it now. Most use a turkey baster to suck out the old oil and put the new in.

I seen this and think I better replace this gasket, but not sure what it is called, nor can I find on on the parts diagram. Any ideas?
gasket.jpg

Then is this where I hook my water hose to run on land?
is this where i connect water to run on land.jpg

Attachments

• is there a replacement gasket for this.jpg
    is there a replacement gasket for this.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 47
That is correct for flushing the ski. Always make sure ski is running then turn water on. Then turn water off then ski off last. Water should never be on with ski off.

I would replace that pump gasket. Also the accordion boot for your trim has cracks too so I would replace that before it leaks and destroys the trim if it hasn't already.

Okay, I will have to order that pump gasket, if I can find it. Like I said I did not see it in the parts diagram. Do you by chance have it?
Then where are those cracks as I could not see them. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place though. Oh, and guess what? After some very careful inspection, I found the restrictor in that short small hose. :) Cannot believe I missed it.

I am pretty sure mine has a gasket, but it looks like it might have some tears in it as you might be able to see in the earlier pictures. I have tried finding that gasket, but cannot find it anywhere.

That gasket doesn't show in the parts diagram for your ski. I think you are going to have to pull the pump so we can see what we are working with. The parts diagram shows the pump on your being sealed with silicone but the manual says it uses the neoprene seal so go figure.

I took it apart, and it was just silicone, so that is what I used on it. I got it running and idling at 3000 on land. Went up cleaned out the engine bay then blew out the remaining water. I was careful to not get water in the carbs. Then I went to the boat launch and put it in the water tethered to the trailer. Low and behold, murphy's law takes over. It would not start. No spark. This was what happened when I bought it too. But after resetting the mpem I started getting spark and all was good.
So my question is, besides fuses and connections as I have checked them all, and new plugs what else could it be? The battery is also new, and had to put it back on the charger after trying to start it. It would every once in a while spit and fart but never run. Very strange as it was running perfectly prior to this happening.
Thanks in advance.

I got it running now and no load runs perfect. But in the water, under load I only get 3100 rpm. I was thinking the regulator on the exhaust pipe or rave valves. I did take the valves apart and cleaned them previously and they appeared to be in pretty good shape. I have not touched the regulator yet. Fuel lines especially, restrictor and all of that has been done. Also where is the alternator? I keep seeing the 12v low on the led, and it is a new fully charged battery.

It has a magneto for charging with a rectifier to convert to DC. Charge battery with a two amp charger. Then unplug the rectifier and run it a short time on water. If you replace it, use OEM, I have read that the cheaper Non-OEM's die quickly. Fuel pumps are very picky about voltage supplied to them. In any fuel injected system.

It has a magneto for charging with a rectifier to convert to DC. Charge battery with a two amp charger. Then unplug the rectifier and run it a short time on water. If you replace it, use OEM, I have read that the cheaper Non-OEM's die quickly. Fuel pumps are very picky about voltage supplied to them. In any fuel injected system.

I will try that, but please tell me where is the rectifier and would you by chance have any pics to help me out?

Update to this thread... Please read and assist if you can.
It runs but will not go above 3200 rpm in the water. Off a hose it runs great, no problems, but alas, its no fun riding on the land as it goes no where fast.
Here is what I know and have done...
1. The previous owner told me it bogged down pretty bad, so I knew I was getting someones headache, but I love a challenge.
2. It was not starting when I got it, but now have it running.
3. I have done the following...

-Removed, cleaned and reinstalled the carbs. Did not do a rebuild yet. Set them both to factory settings. They were pretty clean as is the whole ski. I also verified the accelerator pump is working as it should. I get a nice stream of fuel in each carb when I hit the throttle.
-Removed and cleaned the oil pump and primed it, and verified it was pumping oil. Works perfectly.
-Removed, cleaned, tested and reinstalled the Rave exhaust valves and Water Regulator. They all looked pretty good. Not sure on the adjustments though for the red screw thing on the top. I read somewhere on the exhaust valves to have them all the way down, and on the water regulator flush then out two clicks so that is what I did. Tested the Rave solenoid and it clicks when I apply 12v to it so I assume it is working properly.
-Removed and replaced the Exhaust to intake manifold gasket, and installed the newer kit which included the diaper thingy.
-Reset the mpem, and I get the two beeps when hooking up the lanyard.
-Replaced the plugs with new recommended oem style NGK plugs. Cut off 1/4" plug wire etc.
-Replaced all fuel hoses from tank to carbs, from carb to carb including the itty bitty restrictor in the pump line.
-Removed, cleaned and replaced fuel and oil tanks and both fuel and oil filters.
-Removed and resealed the drive pump.
-Removed the old battery as it was bad and replaced it with a new one and have it fully charged.
-Verified all the fuses are good and replaced one for the VTS.

Problem #1
So after all of that, I can run it WOT when connected to a hose on the land, but like I said, there's no fun to be had riding a pwc on the land, plus its is much louder and neighbors think your crazy. Anyways, on the hose it idles at 3000 rpm. Can crack it open and it revs nicely then returns to 3000 rpm.
But when I put it in the water it starts and idles around 1100 to 1200 rpm, which is what I believe to be good. But when I try the throttle slow or fast it just bogs down and never gets over 3200 to 3300 rpm and only around 15 mph. The impeller is in perfect shape. No leaks in the hull.

Problem #2
The 12v low appears in the LCD. Going to try the suggestion of running without the rectifier to see if it goes away and replace it if it does, if not then looking for more suggestions.

Problem #3
The VTS does not work. It shows its at Full up position on the LCD, and does not respond to either up or down button pushes. I tried it while running and not running.
Anyways, if anyone can shed some light on this dismal issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Well that's it my friends. Please help me out and get my wife off my back so she can ride this thing before she kills me for spending too much money already.

Do you have spark on both plugs? Put a tester on the battery and see what it reads when running and while giving it some throttle- your rectifier might be bad.

There is spark on both plugs. Like I said running it on land it runs great, but still getting the 12v low error. So I am thinking the rectifier is bad. But I have no idea where the rectifier is even located. Can you provide me this info, or even a picture?

Well anything will run on land bc there is no load on the motor. I "think" its behind the front MPEM. Its easy to spot.

Attachments

• 41d4DvWmFoL.jpg
    41d4DvWmFoL.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 30
How is the wear ring around the pump impeller? It may be cavitating. Rev's but no go? The rectifier should be bolted to the computer in the front hatch. Have you checked the fuel system for air leaks? It is easier to suck air then gas. Engine is not getting enough fuel when under a load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back