98 GSX LTD - Fuel Line and carb diagram???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbushnell

Hey there forum members! I have searched high and low and cannot find what I am looking for. I have the service manual, but it is a bit unclear as to what I am needing. I have a red with purple 1998 GSX Limited with the 951cc motor. All stock, no mods.
Here is the deal... Bought this ski, the kid who owned it could not get it running, and when I got it all the fuel lines were sitting in the hull, not hooked up. So I bought all new lines, cleaned the carbs up good etc. However now I need a good clear diagram of how the lines are ran from the tank to the pto carb to the mag carb and then back to the tank. The service manual does give me the tank lines and pretty much how to hook that part up, but the carbs are what I am mostly confused about. So if anyone has a good pic of correctly routed gas lines on these carbs I would appreciate it. I am going to get a few pics of what I am looking at and will post them shortly. But wanted to get this posted in hopes of someone having some good pics already. I am wanting to try and get this running later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

OK, first the fuel sender is labeled from the factory on the sides of each nipple. RES= Reserve, ON, RET = Return, VNT= Vent.
ON and RES go top the corresponding ports on the fuel selector.
The fuel selector then goes to the fuel filter/strainer then to the MAG carb inlet port.
The MAG carb outlet port goes to the PTO carb inlet port.
Both MAG and PTO carb return hoses go into the same hose back the the RET port on the fuel sender.

Avoid the Noid!!! Love your avatar. That is great, and brings back many memories of watching that Noid in those pizza commercials.

Thanks for your reply. I will see if I can follow that and get it done. Then I will get some pics and post them up for you to verify I have it correct.
Thanks, and of course anyone else is welcome to post additional info as well.

I have the pics here that show the carbs and I have numbered the ports. I am pretty sure I have not missed any, but if you see something I missed just let me know. Basically if you or someone could look at them and tell me what connects to which number etc.. Oh and I also have posted pictures of the switch, fuel sending unit, engine for the pulse line and fuel filter. I am pretty confident on hooking those up, but if you see something that needs saying or attention please let me know. Again thanks in advance.
20160620_183125.jpg20160620_183049.jpg
20160620_190457.jpg20160620_190555.jpg20160620_190815.jpg20160620_191000.jpg

Attachments

• 20160620_190457.jpg
    20160620_190457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • 20160620_190555.jpg
    20160620_190555.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
Use all stainless hose clamps. Zink coated screw parts are not exceptable. They may rust and freeze up.

No, most times you order them. NAPA can fix you up. Just make sure they are all stainless and you order enough. I live in an industrial area. So I can find stuff no problem!

Thanks for the info. As for the pics I posted can anyone help me? I just need to be certain I am hooking this up correctly. Like I said when I got this ski all the lines were disconnected and sitting in the hull so I have no idea how they connect around and through the carbs. I am sure I got the tank and filter hooked up correctly, but just need help with the carbs themselves.
Thanks in advance.

You should have left the small lines for the acc pump, the usually dont have to be replaced. Hope you still have them bc there is a inline restrictor in the line that needs to be there.

Thanks, as for the small lines that are or were there, the kid before me attempted to replace them so I am not sure if it is still there. Is there a way to verify this? And if not is there a part number I can get to replace them with one that has the inline restrictor?

#2 goes to #10 and then #11 is the return (RET) to the fuel tank.
#8 is the fuel inlet from the fuel strainer.
The middle hose on the selector goes to the fuel strainer.
You will have to read the fuel valve to see what one is the Reserve line from the tank and which is the ON line from the tank.
#6 connects to #7
#9 is the pulse line down to the crankcase.
#3 tee's to #1 & #5
#4 goes down to the other small fitting on the carb not pictured. This is the line that has to have the factory restrictor in it.

Thanks mikidymac, as for the small lines that are or were there, the kid before me attempted to replace them so I am not sure if it is still there. Is there a way to verify this? And if not is there a part number I can get to replace them with one that has the inline restrictor?

I know is is pressed into the stock black line. If you don't have it I am sure Minnetonka4me could set you up.

Yes, the restrictor keeps fuel in the accelerator pump. Without it you will have a lean bog of idle. You need it.

Okay, here is a pic of what I have done with this information so far. Please tell me if I am missing anything. As for the restrictor, how do I reach out to Minnetonka4me?
Something else, I have been looking at other carbs out there for 98's and they all seem to have the throttle linkage and choke linkage on the same side, whereas mine are on separate sides. Is this normal or are my carbs possibly from a different ski?
Completed thus far.jpg

Your hoses look correct.
The gray line should have the restrictor but the brown line from the Acc pump should have a check valve too. [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] should have these parts for you.

As far as your carbs being correct it looks like they are. In 1998 there were technically 2 GSX Limiteds. The Red and purple ones use the carbs in your picture. The 1997.5 Silver and Red GSX uses the carbs with the choke and throttle linkage on the same side. At least that is what the parts diagram shows.

Wow, thanks for all the info and help. I have PM Minnetonka4me with the hopes of getting a reply fast. I live north of Minnetonka about an hour.

Well so far no word from him, but I did find a post on how to make a restrictor, so I am going to do that. What size jet should I use for my restrictor?

1) 1/4" hose barb splicer

2) 5 X .75 Tap

3) Mikuni main jet of appropiate size"

It will be so much easier to just get the correct pieces from Nick. Did you shoot him a PM. You can also call him at Westside Power Sports, Shop (612) 886-7300
Cell (612) 743-9311

THe jet is available direct from seadoo too......
Recharge Jet
$5.97

Last edited by a moderator:
I seen that after I sent that, doh!
I called and talked to Nick. He said he has never seen one, but that he has some sets of those lines and I was welcome to get a set for $15. So I think I am heading to Minnetonka. I hope the restrictors are still in them. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

You can feel them and sometimes see the bulge in the hose. I would make a list of any other small parts you need because he has everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back