98 GSX Limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforest

One of the guys I work with is looking to buy a jet ski. I've been telling him to buy a Seadoo. He found this one and wants me to go look at it with him on Friday.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/5687221002.html

It looks like it was well taken care of. Anything I should be looking for with the 951 engine? I know 787 engines like the back of my hand but not much about the 951s. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It looks very clean.
I noticed a few issues...
1. It still has the gray fuel lines that rot from the inside out. They look good on the outside but must be replaced before he rides it. They will plug the carbs and destroy the engine.
2. the oil injection lines have never been changed and need to be done.
3. The rubber flaps for the air inlet horns are missing.

The fuel system needs to be gone through so that is new carb kits, needle and seats, fuel lines, on/off valve and fuel filter. It will be about $150 in parts.
New oil injection lines when carbs are off 3/32" tygon weed wacker fuel line $10.
Pump oil change $15.
Skis should be good to go.

I'm familiar with the gray fuel lines issue but I'm glad you reminded me of that. I'm familiar with everything else as well but not the rubber flaps for the air inlet horns. What are they and where are they located?

the flaps go over on the top, I believe there are two different versions of them since SD upgraded the setup over time.

almost every used 951 i've seen is missing the flaps and missing the diaper too, the get left off intentionally because they are confusing, or sometimes just left off because people forget.

If he buys it, i'd suggest getting both, not expensive,
I probably have 2-3 sets of flaps in a ziplock somewhere i'd let go dirt cheap, I have no diapers.

IMO they are not a big deal at all if the engine runs properly right now, but missing them might be a negiotiating tool since you can say "we'd have to order those"

we had this discussion in a thread in the past 30 days right here, where we found some good pic's, I just can't locate it right now.

The connection of the pipe to the exhaust manifold on these is directly inline with the intake horns of the air box on the 951. The problem is that joint is notorious for leaking and spraying water directly into the intake horns and into the carb killing the engine. They are just rubber flaps that redirect the leak away from the air inlets. Seadoo also came out with a boot to cover the joint for when it leaks because it was such a problem. You can search for "951 exhaust diaper". The diaper and flaps need to be added as the 951 will not tolerate water ingestion like other seadoos.

The 951 is a great engine but is is much higher strung and on the edge than any other seadoo. They must be fully maintained and if not that is why they have a reputation of blowing up.

If it is his first ski and is not mechanically inclined the 951 might not be the best. They need clean fuel, the correct oil and don't ever flood them with water. The GSX is a good stable two seater and that one looks clean. If he gets it make sure he knows there is major maintenance that needs to be done before he rides it and about $300 in parts.

agree with the noid' It would be best to go through the carb/fuel lines, maybe even pull and rebuild/inspect the pump/ring.

its the best way to be sure that you won't be cursing seadoo 3 weeks from now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back