98 GSX Limited starting issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquatico

:mad:
Hello all. I'm a new member and I've seen a couple other threads on this topic but none of them seemed to come to a solution. I'm hoping you can help.

I've got two GSX Limited (5625) that have been sitting for a few years. (winterized correctly and under cover outdoors) I wanted to get them going again about three weeks ago and got new AGM batts from oreilly.
Batts were charged and installed. They both started up like champs in the driveway. (chirpers were not chirping and haven't this whole time)
The next day we went to the lake and went to start them on the ramp. Only one would start. We tried swapping keys and unhooking/reconnecting the batt but no go.
Stuck them both on the batt tender overnight and they both had more than 12.8 volts the next morning. Went to the lake and the one wouldn't start but the second would start but occassionally acted like the first one until it would finally fire. (we swapped keys and kept detaching/reattaching the key)
I took them to my service guy and he attached the key computer. Couldn't get either to connect but all the keys tested good. We thought it might be a bad lanyard post.
Got a lanyard post and nothing changed.

So, here's the list of details:

1. Instrument panel lights up when key is attached.
2. Readout starts at 88888888 for a couple of seconds then time is shown on display.
3. When start/stop button is pushed, a click is heard down near starter.
4. Display then goes out. But will come back on if start/stop is pressed.
5. Cranks like a champ if I jump across the solenoid.

Please help. I've checked all the fuses and they're good and I don't know where to go from here. It started once and then wouldn't. What do you think is going on?

Based on all of this information it sounds like one of two things. 1) bad on/off switch. Check to make sure you are getting voltage on signal line at solenoid when you press on/off button. If not, this is probably your problem. 2) bad solenoid. Replace solenoid.

Also, the beeps/chirps can be fixed by replacing with comparable buzzer from radio shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back