97 xp vs. 95 xp starter rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

All the rebuild kits I'm seeing say they work for both models. They say they are sold for brushes but some of other parts might work and I get that. I cross reference the brushes and holder and they are two different part numbers. Some of other parts match up but I'm most concerned about the brushes and holder. Question is, has anyone done both and if so are the parts in fact the same or interchangeable even though numbers are different? Thanks a bunch! I feel like if I call the seller I might not get accurate info since they clearly state in listings they work for both. Better to go off someone who uses it than sells it and probably never used them.20191130_062032.jpg

I've rebuilt a number of starters. I buy the cheap kits and mostly just replace the brush holder and the o-rings. Both the starters are the same but one thing for sure... They will turn in different directions. Mark it well. I'm not sure which brand starter it was but I turned the magnet (stator) and the starter turned the other way. LOL Measure twice cut once. :) Good Luck !!

Edited -

Last edited:
You are correct sir. I will edit my post accordingly. The key being... some will turn in a different direction depending on the location of the stator. Thanks for taking care of that. :) .

947 starters turn the opposite way as they have a reduction gear. 4-strokes turn the same way as the 2-strokes except for the 947. The 4-strokes also have a reduction gear, however, their starters face the rear of the engine and engage from the front of the flywheel.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back