97 xp PTO flywheel removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

Motor is out of hull. Can't lock other end to be able to twist it off. I read a thread on here from 2011 that said fill PTO cylinder with rope.....really? That scares me... is this really a thing? I first read it and thought I should shove rope in the gear, so I dod that but just shreds the rope lol

Motor is out of hull. Can't lock other end to be able to twist it off. I read a thread on here from 2011 that said fill PTO cylinder with rope.....really? That scares me... is this really a thing? I first read it and thought I should shove rope in the gear, so I dod that but just shreds the rope lol
Works for me, i turn the PTO until the piston is an inch ish away from TDC then drop a foot or so of 1/4" rope with a loop on the end to hang onto down the hole. Keep turning PTO till it locks the piston against the rope, preventing it from transitioning to down stroke.

Filling the cylinder with rope is required whether the motor is in our out of the hull. Don't be nervous whatever kind of rope you can find will not do any damage to the metal cylinders and pistons.

you're going to want one of these Impeller Removal Tool - Sea-Doo | Yamaha VX110 | Kawasaki. it is much easier and will avoid marring the outside of the PTO like trying to grab the outside of the PTO with a pipe wrench will.

You will also want a nice long cheater bar to get you the leverage you need.

Now comes the hard part. You are going to need a second person there to help you. It is preferable that this person be a large burly guy who lifts weights on a regular basis because he is going to be the one holding the motor stable while you crank on the cheat bar.

Sometimes they come off easy sometimes you feel like you are about to snap the cheater bar. Just hope for the first option and prepare for the second. A little heat will not hurt just don't go too wild and don't use map gas. Unlike the flywheel tapping with a hammer won't help at all so don't bother.

did they change something? My impeller tool fits and has pulled the PTO off both my skis
97 XP doesn't use a splined PTO like the other skis, it uses a rubber damper that engage fingers on the PTO. IF you try prying on the fingers they will spin in the outer flywheel and ruin the entire thing.

The only safe way to do it is with a chain wrench like Chester said.

oh, I see. it connects up like the Kawasakis.

well then I stand corrected

my apologies for the false info!

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I can't believe rope in piston does the trick lol, that's crazy.... I have two 97 xps and i know parts are hard to find because they are very different... looked all over for replacement pto flywheel Nd found 2 on Ebay for 100, and one on craigslist for 90. After searching forever, I finally found new aftermarket for 100 that is 2 piece instead of one. I'm not worried about messing up old one, its toast. When I install new one should I put loctite on it? Any tips for installing new one?

Attachments

• 15753363494966441767715834252140.jpg
    15753363494966441767715834252140.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
It worked! Got it off! Had to wedge engine under trailer hitch of my truck and didn't need heat even though it freezing cold here at under 70 degrees lol. Awesome...... by myself..... rope in cylinder is genius, they should put that in the manual ..... thanks

Attachments

• 20191205_164347.jpg
    20191205_164347.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
Hahaha! Its filthy and I started taking all the paint off with a wire wheel and spray stripper. Wont look like that in a couple weeks, but yeah, it looks like it was on fire....

I got a little bit of water in here, is that a problem? It wasn't much, a little spray..... could it possibly get past anything and end up in bottom end anywhere? I cleaned it out best I could and sprayed fogging oil in there. Its behingvwhere the PTO flywheel goes.

Attachments

• 20191211_170353.jpg
    20191211_170353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back