97 xp motor mount bolt broke in piece glassed into hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

Does anyone know what that piece looks like and dimensions? I read a great thread on here by mikidymac where he did some glass work to fix but I was hoping to avoid cutting the piece out and fixing it. I want to machine a solid aluminum spacer and bolt that through the fiberglass and into the plate underneath, then tap a new hole where the broken one is. This will give me plenty of bite for the mount, but I need to know what I would be blind drilling and tapping into in order to properly place the bolt that will secure the spacer to the hull ( and if this is even possible). Thanks.

Attachments

• 20191228_133926.jpg
    20191228_133926.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Just drill out the broken bolt and put in a Helicoil.
It’s an aluminum strip in there and you can’t drill new holes in different places and still hope to get the engine aligned.

Thanks, I tried that but drilling stainless isnt easy. I was able to get a pilot hole started a bit but it went off center to the point where my bit for the helicoil would be too far off if I could even get pilot all the way through. I can see its 1/2 inch thick plate by measuring in other hole and as long as it's a solid plate , I'm sure I can make a new spacer work. I can see a belly in glass between the 2 bolt holes where I will need to make my spacer concave so it sits true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back