97 XP mods

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MxZack514

I just bought a 97 seadoo XP and I am wanting to put a few mods on it. I do not want to go into the motor. It already has a R&D intake grate on it. I have read on here that a ride plate and impeller along with a intake grate help out. What else can be done and where is the cheapest place to buy aftermarket XP parts also?

You can do some pupm mods along with the impellor and intake grate for a few Extra mph. A good pipe and some carb work will add some additional HP. Factory Pipe or Coffman would be my recommendations for a pipe.

Again, an intake grate will SLOW you down. It has more drag on the hull. A ride plate will help it handle better and plane quicker. I took off my R&D ride plate from my 01 xp. No significant differnce to keep it. Gained a bit of top end.

Cheapest mod, filter and jet kit. Then, by far, a head. You won't sacrifice reliability if you tell them you want a rec head. A great company is Group K. On that motor, these are your best two options, period.

An intake grate all depends on what conditions you are riding in. If your riding on smooth calm water, then yes an intake grate will slow ya down a bit. If you ridnig on choppy water like I am all the time, you'll pick up some top end because it will hook up in the chop much better.

An intake grate all depends on what conditions you are riding in. If your riding on smooth calm water, then yes an intake grate will slow ya down a bit. If you ridnig on choppy water like I am all the time, you'll pick up some top end because it will hook up in the chop much better.

If your riding in choppy water, your not going to go as fast as smooth water anyways. :hurray:

No grate out there will give you speed. Some may not take any speed away, but will not gain any speed.

The only thing a grate will do in chop, is help keep the pump in the water, to keep you moving, thats it. Ask any racer, or buy a gps and run on the same day, same conditions back to back. They only take 10 mins to change.

Best F/A, PROK or FLY. I have R&D, but heard from many that the prok/fly flow more air. Check out Bill Oneil at 626 914 9509...He'll set you up, and tell you the truth about grates. He will explain what I have here.

:) How about a Skat Trak Magnum pump with R&D nozzles and a custom swirl impeller...

I know where you can get one for cheap...

How about a Factory pipe or a pair of billet carbs?

Just sayin... :reddevil:

:) How about a Skat Trak Magnum pump with R&D nozzles and a custom swirl impeller...

I know where you can get one for cheap...

How about a Factory pipe or a pair of billet carbs?

Just sayin... :reddevil:

:agree:....sick mod....expensive though...

IMO the first mod on a 97xp is a BILGE PUMP!!! I owned one and it always loaded up with water from jumping waves. Those 2 inlet tubes funnel water right down into your hull along with other issues.

It's funny that in 98 when the 951 came out they put a stock bilge pump in the back by the battery...

I was getting tired of the sound of "click click click" the starter trying to get the water out of the engine.

The ride aspect of the 97xp is about the only good thing i can say about them. You need a skat swirl 17/22 to get better bottom and mid range and if you get rid of the stock air box get a set of prok air filters and outwears. This will help keep the water out of the engine and also give you better performance with that beast.

I've got a nice pair of Billet 46mm Mikuni's and the Bullet race intake I would be willing to part with, and it will include the K&N marine flame arrestor and the primer kit (all you'd have to buy is the tubing). I paid over $3,000 for the setup, but I'm not asking anywhere near that much. I also have a brand new flywheel with magneto ring (OEM cost $750) and a spare drive shaft.

The only reason I'm willing to sell the carbs is because I went back to stock on my ski, 55 is fast enough until I can buy the new 255 hp RXP.

Attachments

• DSCN0877.JPG
    DSCN0877.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1312.JPG
    DSCN1312.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1329.jpg
    DSCN1329.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0905.JPG
    DSCN0905.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1311.jpg
    DSCN1311.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
An XO is not the prop to go with on a 97xp hull, The skat swirl or solas concord would be your best bet. The 97xp's hull sits lower in the water and it needs a prop to get it out of the hole alot faster. The solas XO is the prop that i run a a limited mod 96xp. When i had a 97xp i changed it over to a skat swirl 17/22 it was night and day diff on bottom and mid range, and i didn't really notice a loss in top speed.

Also 46 mikuni's on a stock engine??? you will be playing with the carbs everytime the weather changes IE (humidity etc) Novi 42's would be the perfect set of carbs to run if you can find them..I run a set on my 96xp and it fly's.

Also i never ran a intake grate on that hull because it sits lower in the water then let's say a 96xp. I live right on Lake Michigan and i would hit roller and ride out in chop all the time with no problems with the pump comming unhooked from the water.

As for the R&D 85/88 nozzle kit on a 97xp im not sure i have never used one on that hull, only my 96xp. It will probably give you 1-2mph faster top end and better cornering.

BUT remember with a 97xp hull if you wave jump make sure that you know where the snad bars are at. I hit a 6 footer one day and i was staright up and down and i landed right on a sandbar with my pump and busted my steering cable along with the nozzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back