97 Seadoo GTX 800 bogs at WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie-Q

Hello I am a newbie here and to jet ski as well. I bought a 97 Seadoo GTX 800. I have read so much on these threads trying to fix my issues. So I thought I’d post the problem and try to list all the things we have tried so far. When I first put it in water it idled fine took off fast to WOT got up to about 54 mph for maybe 2 min, then it started to bog if I let off the throttle it would stop and go again. The problem continued to worsen until it was barely above idle.
It did have the gray temp fuel lines. We have changed all of them. It has a new battery and new plugs. Cleaned the carbs the tiny filters were real dirty We did notice oil coming from rave valves. The o ring had slipped and one of them was missing a spring so we cleaned up rave valve some what. My son did it not sure how detailed cleaning he did Got the O ring placed correctly and bought replacement spring.
We put it back in water much improvement but not where it should be top speed about 40 and it takes off fast but a min or two at WOT it bogs it has died a time or 2 if you don’t try to WOT it does fine. I am hoping that someone can direct me what to check next. This is freshwater Jetski I read that someone had a water hose collapse at high speed I’m not sure what that means or how to check this or even what it looks like. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thank you

I'd rebuild the carbs. Get an OEM rebuild kit from osdparts, check pop off(can search the forum for how to test that), and perform a leakdown test on the carbs. However, my recommendation after I rebuilt my carbs and the checked every spec perfectly yet I still had niggling problems, is to just buy new carbs from OSDparts. A lot less hassle and after years of chasing carb problems they're all gone. These are 20 yr old parts and some of these things you just can't get right without just biting the bullet and replacing them.

I'd rebuild the carbs. Get an OEM rebuild kit from osdparts, check pop off(can search the forum for how to test that), and perform a leakdown test on the carbs. However, my recommendation after I rebuilt my carbs and the checked every spec perfectly yet I still had niggling problems, is to just buy new carbs from OSDparts. A lot less hassle and after years of chasing carb problems they're all gone. These are 20 yr old parts and some of these things you just can't get right without just biting the bullet and replacing them.
Thanks for the info Can you tell me how to do the leak down test? I have seen the pop off test mentioned. Is this the same thing?

Thank you for the reply. My son did do a compression to our knowledge it’s good. What numbers should I be looking for? I believe they were 135 ish

New owner here too but have learned a lot from this forum.. the compression you are looking for is between 140-150 is optimal

Thanks for the info Can you tell me how to do the leak down test? I have seen the pop off test mentioned. Is this the same thing?
You can use the same tool and pump it to I believe 10psi and it should hold it for a minute without leaking air. Tons of YouTube vids on it.

Yes, with the carb back together plug the return hose and pump 10 psi into the inlet, it should hold pressure indefinitely. Tane a look at me carb thered here Carb Thread Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back