97 sea doo gtx 787 will not run at consistent high rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbulk

On runs to full rpm on the trailer… in the water when cold if you mash the throttle from idle you can trip the ski to max rpm. Once you come off the throttle will not go above 4400 rpm unless you play with the throttle bringing it to idle then pinning it, ski will then be coax up to 4500. then.5000 then 6500 rpm. Initially though the engine was overheating and running in limp mode so that’s when I rebuilt the water regulator and found it essentially not operating. the red cap on the water regulator is set flush to the top of the regulator. Have been though the exhaust system and it does not appear to have a noticeable leak. Although I do see more water in the bilge of the ski then the other ski .

Engine is not overheating, not only is the engine not hot when the rpm dropped I pulled the temp sensor wire off and it did not impact performance.

I was wondering whether I have a pin hole leak somewhere in the fuel delivery system. Once it gets to 6500 rpm it holds it until you go below 5500. But reading old posts from bill o'neal it seems still like either an exhaust leak or water regulator tuning issue

This is incredibly frustrating… any help would be appreciated

Check your RAVE valves and see if they are slotted. SeaDoo put out a service bulletin for '97 787 motors, to upgrade to the new style RAVEs and housings because of the exact symptoms you are having

Attachments

• SeaDoo 1997 RAVE Hesitation TSB.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
by slotted i assume you mean slots in the shaft and the answer is yes

give that the engine was just rebuilt no symptom of sticking rav values rebuilt all bellows and valves with new stuff a couple of weeks ago

by slotted i assume you mean slots in the shaft and the answer is yes

give that the engine was just rebuilt no symptom of sticking rav values rebuilt all bellows and valves with new stuff a couple of weeks ago
Not sure if we're talking about the same slots/grooves or not. This pic from the service bulletin shows the difference. There is also any upgraded housing.
Screenshot_20200909-172051.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back