97 GTX won’t go over 3500 rpm in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt12995

I have a 1997 GTX that runs 1500 at idle on the trailer and 1100 in the water. It takes off fine but tops out at 3500 rpms. On the trailer it revs up fine. If I can catch a wake and get the ski out of the water it will take off and run fine. The ski has new carb, new fuel lines. I just had it in the shop to replace starter. The service guy said wear ring looked fine and compression was good. I have tried running it on normal fuel tank setting and on the reserve setting. No difference between them. I have also tried running it and pulling out the choke and it just cuts out. I wanted to see if there is anything that I can try before I take it back to repair shop. Thanks for any suggestions.

When you say new carb what do you mean? Was the oem mikuni carb rebuilt? If so was it rebuilt with genuine mikuni parts?

Right out of the gate this sounds like a fueling issue which almost always a carb problem

First your idle should be 3000 on the trailer and it should drop to 1500 in the water.

If the fuel system is good and pulling the choke doesn’t help I would check the RAVE valves. They need to be clean and some skis will do exactly as yours is if they aren’t the updated “slotted” valves.

Rpm way to low in the water and on trailer
It’s bogging down now due to a lack of fuel as the vacuum through carb is insufficient to draw fuel out of fuel chamber

When you say new carb what do you mean? Was the oem mikuni carb rebuilt? If so was it rebuilt with genuine mikuni parts?

Right out of the gate this sounds like a fueling issue which almost always a carb problem

The carburetor was replaced with a new one.

Your ski has 2 carbs so I hope they replaced both and installed the correct jetting in it because all skis are not jetted the same.

Personally, I'd skip the shop from here on out. But since you paid money and it's not right, bring it back to them. They should know the idle should be set at 3k out the water. Ask them specifics about carb settings.

It's difficult to asess anything unless you tear into it and verify yourself.

Last edited:
I tried to adjust the low setting on the carb but it did not affect the rpms at all. I found on here the steps to set carb but not sure I did it right. I found and adjusted the screw with the T on it and nothing changed.

No you should have a small cut out for access
But removing airbox will give u a better idea where the adjustments are and can check the oil pump too
Install the flame arrester with out box on you can then set your idle and then check your oil pump setting in that order
Then reassemble air box on

So it’s running very rich
You will need to adjust the cable you’ll need two 10 mm spanners
It’s the same as adjust a Bicycle brake cable
Picture below shows the opposite side of the cable from the pump
Undo the nuts and turn the one furthest away from the pump out and tighten the other
The two lines should line up

You have something wrong with either the cable, the cable attachment or your idle is cranked up way too high. There should be no issue getting the oil pump lines together.

What did u set the low speed screws after you turned them ?
Check the routing of oil pump cable that nothing is rubbing on it and it’s in the cam groove correctly

Who installed the carbs ? Did the check the cable attachment etc was the same as one removed ? You normally can get at least 2 or 3 millimeters either side of the line with adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back