97 gtx willnot pull 2 people up on plane

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisp

This machine will pull one person up on plane but willnot pull two up. I did a compression test and both cylinders have 148 psi on each cylinder , took off carbs and looking inside the intake I can see in one the other has a plate covering the hole it will move a little but will not open. what is this , could this be the problem , idles good and top ends good

when you say pull two people up; are you talking about pulling 2 skiers or tubers at the same time or 2 riders on the ski? i know that on my 96GTX occasionally the reverse bucket will drop down a little when there are 2 riders (expecially if the rear rider is kind of heavy) make sure that your bucket is not droping down a little when there are 2 riders

sorry about the wording, I mean two riders , and it sounds like the engine is running rough when in this strain .

The little plate you are seeing in the intake is the rotary valve, which is responsible for the timing, and yes it is supposed to be there. This is very important to the running of your engine. Like previous post, could be the reverse bucket, but also sounds you could have a little wear ring issue. The clearance could be fine with one rider, but the additional weight could have a little on this. That is just a possiblity, but the wear ring clearance could be checked pretty easily. Unless there is other issues, could be cavitating on you, how does the engine sound when it does not plane out, that could also have a little something to do with it.

thanks for the info , about the plates in the intake should one be open and the other closed , looking in the intake the right is closed the left is open , about the sound of the engine it doesnot sound like it is smooth or reving up , it sounds more like it is straining and it runs rough ( possibly like starving for gas ) it doesnot skip or back fire , more like a fluttering sound.

It will appear that one is open and one is closed. The rotary valve is a thin piece of metal that turns as the motor turns. In it's simplest form, it is the valve timing. It is open for one cylinder to let in the gas, and closed for the other, then as it turns it closes on the one and opens for the other. If you pulled the cover off for this, which would not recommend unless you have a degree wheel or similar means to time the engine with. But if you turn over by hand, watch the rotary valve turn. Doesn't sound right though if it will rev up and go on plane with a single person, it should do so as well with a second person, unless the reverse bucket is coming down and obstructing the flow some, or it is cavitating due to impellor or wear ring.

thanks , now i understand about the intake . i have seen several suggestions that the grey fuel line needs to be chaned , the fuel lines on this one are grey and they look like orig. hoses , your suggestion , also since i am down to the carbs would you suggest taking them apart and cleaning the filters, i have read that htey have internal filters , i am waiting on a shop manual then maybe i can tear into your other suggestion thanks

I would definitely get rid of those gray fuel lines, they are nothing but trouble. Yes, I would also go through and clean the carbs, and while you're at it I would lean the filter by the petcock, and I would also clean and blow out the petcock. Since you are going through the trouble, I would clean the whole entire system out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back