97 GTX things learned

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Just sharing some info I gained working on my gtx 787 this week, maybe it can help someone else.

The motor hanging up at 5000 rpm's. Lots of people have said they are having this issue, my machine loves getting stuck at 5000.... I bit the bullet and did the grooved rave valve and updated rave housing. What an amazing difference, no more having to double pump the throttle to get past the 5k hang up. Sea-Doo Service Bulletin 97-20.

Terrible hole shot. The motor revs up but the machine is just sluggish to get moving. Impeller is clean and straight, liner is brand new, carbon seal replaced by an old school double seal bearing assembly. Still terrible hole shot. I pulled the three rear "ride shoe" components out. The suprising part was the actual "shoe" fell off the machine..... The factory sealant had released from the plastic shoe over time, I tapped it with one finger to remove it. I cleaned all surfaces and resealed with a lot of "right stuff". The low end response is instantanious now. That 22 year old sealant didn't like that plastic and was letting a lot of air in.

Last edited:
I did the same modification to my wife's 97 GTX and it made a heck of a difference !! That bulletin is there for a reason. She LOVEs IT !!! What I truly enjoy about working on mechanical stuff is THE HUNT to find out why it is what it is. I pulled the carbs off both those GTXs 5 times. I experimented with Pop-Off and all that. Terrific that I had two skis that were the same and BOTH responded the same way when I made adjustments and changes. Very revealing. Sissy's ski is still faster which she likes. I'm leaving them both alone..... great skis and all we need !!

What I find really strange is that some skis will run their entire live with the old flat RAVE's and never have an issue while others have to have the slotted RAVEs. I wonder what makes the difference?

I slotted the raves on my 96 GTX trying to even up the 2 skis and it didn't make a difference at all on that ski. I ran into issues with the new rave valve bodies I replaced on the 96. The valve bore wore out and became oversize very quickly. In a matter of hours. If it ain't broke don't fix it but you gotta experiment.... at least I do.

My 2 787's skis, 97' GTX and 96' GSX, have original flat RAVE's, I don't get the hang issue at 5K on either. I think my cleaning in the slots on the jugs may have something to do with it. Before I sent out both sets out for a resleeve to the stock bore to run the NOS Wisecos, I spent some time media blasting the entire jug including down in the slots for the RAVE's. I'm thinking carbon buildup in this area, which is difficult to clean is a factor.

Only a theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back