97 GTX getting water in somewhere.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Hi guys!

Well the 97 GTX rv shaft experiment is going great so far, no oil burn off on start up and no failure after a couple hours of wide open running.

But there is always some water in the hull after every ride?? I replaced the carbon ring, but not the steel collar it seals with. I did see some "bleeding" around the exhaust gasket between the header and first section of the exhaust pipe, but only when the rpm's were around 5k running it on the trailer backed in the water. I replaced the gasket with a new OEM gasket, cleaned the joint with the copper ring and closed things back up with a little 518 on the gasket and ultra copper on the ring joint. No more leaks at the gasket, no leaks at the carbon ring when running on the trailer. But I am still getting some water in the hull just riding on flat water, no chance of pulling any water in through the intakes by diving the nose under or playing around.

Since I do not know the entire history of the machine I took the time to blow some air into the cooling system while blocking off the exhaust manifold while I had the pipe off. With all other outlet lines pinched I was not able to hear any air escaping any cracks in case it was not winterized properly in the past, everything sounded good, a good inspection with a mirror showed the cylinders and exhaust manifold appeared solid.

My question is since I only found the manifold to pipe leak at 5k are there any other areas that might be prone to leaking under running conditions, higher rpm's, higher pump preassures on the model?

I ran it on the trailer for a few minutes at 3500 to 5000 and did not see any spraying, water flowing out from under the motor or water box.

Any suggestions as to a possible culprit?

Thanks!

(I came into the landing a little "hot" at the end of the ride) dang nab! I have never done that before, the first time I have ever stepped off onto dry land... Time to get my eyes checked...

Attachments

• 20190515_194225.jpg
    20190515_194225.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
You will always get some water in these skis and the carbon seal does leak a little by design.

On another note you should always replace the carbon ring and hat together as they develop wear patterns together and won't always seal good if one is new and one is old.

Finally 518 really isn't a gasket dressing, it is for part to part joints. The gaskets should go on dry but if you want to use something on them a very thin layer of 1211 isn't a bad idea.

I'll readdress that. I noticed the ring and hat did not center on each other, just a hair off, both before and after the work.

Can an old style bearing and double seal thru hull set up be retrofitted in place of the carbon ring?

It sure can, just remember to grease it because if it seizes it will break the fitting on the hull.

Seadoo actually went back to the seal and carrier design on the 1998 XP ther for some reason went back to the carbon seal so who knows.

The seal and carrier is probably more reliable as long as you grease it, my theory is people never greased them and seadoo got tired of all the broken through hull fittings.

1211, will do! (next time)

I'm always crawling all over my machines so keeping up on the grease is no problem.

For now I have to crawl all under the gtx and buff out the scratches from my beaching yesterday.

It happens to all of us. Back in the 90's we were riding the surf at the beach on a nice summer day, families and girls around so we race in as usual and slide our stand-ups onto the beach to be cool and mine sticks and I go over the bars in front of everyone. I couldn't help but laugh with everyone else that saw it.

I chased a water leak on a 95 GTX. I even pulled and resealed the Sponsons. I ended up putting the bailers in their own plastic container during the ride. As long as I was going straight everything was fine. When I turned sharply clowning around, the bailers allowed water to enter the internals of the ski. Then a few minutes of straight up cruising the plastic containers were empty. Ended up the o-ring were not in position properly on the water tubes. I think I generally have weirder problems than most people. LOL

I was doing nothing but slalom turns for 45 minutes, never had any water over the nose.

I have an old style thru hull bearing on the way. I was thinking of rechecking all pump area connections and seals.

I let the machine sit on the water for a while, not running, and no water came in. Ran it on the trailer in the water, no water came in. Run it on the water, 3/4 to full throttle, and it has a gallon of water in it.....

The other element I just thought of last night is it cavitates on the launch or hard corner. Impeller and liner are perfect, so maybe pulling air? If it is air getting in then maybe water gets through the same area at higher speeds??? This is a fun one.

The good news is summer is happening up here. Warmer weather, green trees, riding at midnight in the sunlight.

Check those bailers. That water is coming from somewhere. I got skis that stay dang near dry and others that need to potty often. LOL I don't like seeing water inside the hull. Good luck and ENJOY the warmer weather.

Yes i have the riveted pads. However, the water getting in happened during a ride where I was on calm water, only doing gentle turns and never once dropping the nose or any intake areas under water, the foot well areas never got wet. The water is getting in under "grandma driving" conditions.

On the bright side the old XP ripped on the first ride, until I ran out of gas. Doing my Sea-Doo Yoga going wide open. Some day I'm going to fall off doing this, I hope somebody catches it on video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190519-170355_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190519-170355_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Is the water warm or lake temperature? If it's cold, that should help you eliminate the motor from the equation.

On the water update.

Replaced the carbon ring with a thru hull bearing assembly off a 94 gtx and solved the problem.

Just going to float the river for a while..

It's a nice warm night, the moose and beaver are active, the sun is high.

And it is quiet.

20190522_204234.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back