97 GTX Bogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

97explorer717

First I need to say carbs have been completely disassembled and cleaned four times. Last two times reassembled with back to OEM kits. All that was due to a new OEM fuel selector being defective. Pop off was in spec but near the higher side and stock sitting.
Starts and idles fine but sometimes having to pump gas to "clear it out". With that it's bogging and cutting off. Not always. I have a long ride out of the no wake zone and it seems to be very minimal coming out. Once it's going it's good.
Getting about 6700 top rpms, 132 compression and I've never gone through the pump yet only changed oil. Probably needs a wear ring. Figured that might be where I was losing a couple hundred rpm IDK.
Was consider pulling the engine out of the ski and putting it in the Challenger. I know that compression is getting weak. Have a set of carbs laying around and another new back to OEM kit.
Could I be overlooking something else? The compression numbers, crank seals? I know that points to carb issues but with what I've done I couldn't imagine. Any insight will greatly be appreciated.

What was the pop off? Did you get new OEM needles/seats when you did the rebuild? Carb settings? Were the low speed circuits (4 little holes) clear and flowing in the carbs? RPM's you're seeing is good, on my 97' GTX I'm in the 6700 range depending the climate sometimes 6780 and sometimes 6720. Check your GPS speed, if you're seeing 53 that's good on that ski. I see 53 consistently, and at times, again depending climate when I've checked, I've seen 54-55 when on the upper end of 6700.

Depending the engine hrs being in line, 132 is getting time for a rebuild, and that might be part of the sluggishness you're getting.

Try unhooking the red rectifier wire temporarily and see what it does. I had what felt like a midrange bog that I couldn’t figure out on one of mine, and it turned out to be the relatively new rectifier that was causing it...

What was the pop off? Did you get new OEM needles/seats when you did the rebuild? Carb settings? Were the low speed circuits (4 little holes) clear and flowing in the carbs? RPM's you're seeing is good, on my 97' GTX I'm in the 6700 range depending the climate sometimes 6780 and sometimes 6720. Check your GPS speed, if you're seeing 53 that's good on that ski. I see 53 consistently, and at times, again depending climate when I've checked, I've seen 54-55 when on the upper end of 6700.

Depending the engine hrs being in line, 132 is getting time for a rebuild, and that might be part of the sluggishness you're getting.
Pop off was 37/38. Even had four sets of Springs I swapped in and out and ended up with the originals being the closest. Carbs were soaked twice and sprayed through the circuits with carb cleaner all four times. I did order the OEM needle and seats with the kits. Settings were L1, H mag0 and pto1/2.
As far as the other numbers you're spot on. 53 mph with me and the front compartment loaded. 47/48 me, my wife a kid, compartments filled to the brim & Lawn chairs strapped on. Yeah I really need my Challenger up and going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back