97 GSX sputtering, not getting fuel?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I’ve went and done it, lol. When I took the valve out, I’m sure the contoured side was facing up but after cleaning it, I see one side of the guillotine says top and if it came out with the contour side up then the side that says top was facing down. I’m checking the manual but doesn’t say in here. I’m going to take the other one out and double check it, maybe check on my 96 as well. Want to be sure.

Another thought, (probably too late) before you put your RAVE housing back on, there is a small hole in the bottom of the housing, make sure that is not plugged and you can see daylight thru it, It's only about 1/16" or less. With as dirty as your raves are there is a good chance it is plugged.

Another thought, (probably too late) before you put your RAVE housing back on, there is a small hole in the bottom of the housing, make sure that is not plugged and you can see daylight thru it, It's only about 1/16" or less. With as dirty as your raves are there is a good chance it is plugged.
Now I’ve went and done it, lol. When I took the valve out, I’m sure the contoured side was facing up but after cleaning it, I see one side of the guillotine says top and if it came out with the contour side up then the side that says top was facing down. I’m checking the manual but doesn’t say in here. I’m going to take the other one out and double check it, maybe check on my 96 as well. Want to be sure.
One side of the Rave is marked TOP. That side faces the engine. also check that the o rings are flexible, if there was a lot of oil inside the rubber bellows, the orings need replaced. The hot exhaust can melt the plastic valve caps

The valves are coming out with the engraving top facing up towards the spark plugs, contoured side of gilotine is facing down. Checked the little hole on both and made sure they were clean.

Got it back together. Seems to be a big difference for responsiveness at least on the trailer. Will take it on the water tomorrow if it’s not raining. Do I need to do anything where the carb mates to the intake? Needs new gasket?

Got it back together. Seems to be a big difference for responsiveness at least on the trailer. Will take it on the water tomorrow if it’s not raining. Do I need to do anything where the carb mates to the intake? Needs new gasket?
If the old gasket is still in good shape you can reuse it

Just getting in from a great ride, 19 degrees Celsius and raining. Working amazing now, reached 6670 rpm’s and could Hold it there.highest I could get before was 6200 and that was only for a second or 2 and then it would go between 4200 and 5200 roughly. Not 1 single sputter. Thank you Big Jake, if you hadn’t messaged It would still be sitting in the same condition it was yesterday morning.

I took a compression test after today’s ride, 147 pto and 150 mag. Last time I took a test it was 145 and 145. Shouldn’t be gaining compression. Possibly just variations in how long I roll it over and maybe how hot it is? Also noticed a greasy sludge that looks like it blew past the gasket on the mag side rave valve. I did not torque those bolts to specs, is this simply need for new gaskets and torque to specs?

Your compression is great, don’t worry about it.

The leaking rave is either the small shaft o-ring has gotten hard and brittle or the rave bellows are leaking.

I don’t recall seeing on o ring in the shaft, I will take it apart at some point and have a closer look. No rush though, as I know machine is good now. On a side note, I bet your not to far from me Big Jake, I’m in Iroquois Ontario, about 1 mile north of the St.Lawrence river. Thanks again for all the help.

I noticed this after cleaning. Are these scratches anything to be worried about? I didn’t scratch them as I cleaned them with carb cleaner and a toothbrush and some 1000 grit sandpaper F0F0A149-BC6E-4649-96A4-0E4872621111.jpeg

I’m not sure where the rave housing is, but I’m not looking right at it.I am going to take the one back off and check those o rings on the shaft and have another look at the bellows, I think the bellows are good though. I’m thinking I may have damaged one of the race gaskets which is why I’m getting that grease blowing by. Not sure if I should be posting a different thread for this question but have you ever used those aftermarket green bellows? From amazon. I’ve read a lot of reviews that say they are too stiff and don’t work right. I will have a look and see if I can figure out where the rave housing is, Thanks Big Jake, have a good weekend

Just wanted to note that the issue i had with greasy sludge blowing past the rave valve housing onto the head was me putting the rave valve housing on backwards. While i was getting ready to winterize it i noticed that the rave valve towards the the pto had no groove cut out of it but the one leaking on mag side did. Noticed that i could literally flap the gasket that mates the rave housing down could move up and down about a 1/16". turned the the rave housing around so that the groove is facing the exhaust ( groove is there so that the rave housing doesn't touch the exhaust) and now it mates nicely. Also just to wrap this up, it ended up being extremely dirty rave valves that caused my sputtering. Sputtering was really an inability to get my rpm's up and keep them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back