97 GSX (787) no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarts

My streak of luck continues...

I just did the following to my ski as the last remaining things on my list to complete.

rebuild starter
rebuild jet pump - replace all bearings
new rave valves
new rave valve housings
replaced RV cover with new(er) one
New Plugs

I haven't ran it this year before doing that work. Ski ran fine last season when put away.

After getting it all bolted back together it cranks like a champ but i can't get it to fire at all, doesn't even try.
Definitely getting gas as it floods after excessive cranking (carbs were rebuilt 2 seasons ago).
Compression is just over 140 each cylinder.
I have spark testers but it was hard to see the light flicker which was the same on my snowmobile when i used them so IDK if spark is weak or if they're just cheap pieces of crap. Because of all the gas vapor in the engine compartment i didn't want to ground a plug on the block.

Now inner crank seals started leaking after last season storage, i installed an inline valve to shut it off to prevent flooding. I do see the MAG plug getting oil on it after cranking for a bit, don't know that this would stop it from starting though? because even when i clean out the plugs there is no attempt to start right after.

All fuses are good, at this point I'm not sure what to check next. Wondering what the experts suggest to check next.

After getting it all bolted back together it cranks like a champ but i can't get it to fire at all, doesn't even try.

Well, you say after getting it all back together now it won't start. The only thing on your list that sticks out as a possibility causing that where it didn't before is the RV cover. Why did you change it? I'd go back in and verify timing and maybe put the old one back on. Possibly the RV moved when took the cover off or the new cover somehow has a greater clearance causing the no start issue.

Well, you say after getting it all back together now it won't start. The only thing on your list that sticks out as a possibility causing that where it didn't before is the RV cover. Why did you change it? I'd go back in and verify timing and maybe put the old one back on. Possibly the RV moved when took the cover off or the new cover somehow has a greater clearance causing the no start issue.

RV cover was replaced because the old one had excessive clearance. I didn't measure the clearance on the replacement because the face looks brand new... but yes you could be right.

As for the timing I was very careful to make sure the RV didn't move as ive had that happen before but if I end up taking the cover off ill double check.

Pulled apart the e box and one of my spark plug wires came out of the 8gnition coil, little plastic clip has broken...

So is there any way to fix this or am I looking for a new coil?

Just to test it I put a small o ring on the plug wire and used that to wedge it in place in the coil. Started instantly, so that would appear to have been my issue.

I'd replace the coil if anything is broken off. I"ve stuffed wires back in and sealed it but if you want it to last you can find a coil cheap on ebay or from one of the used parts suppliers.

with all the vibration and jostling on a jet ski, new coil is probably the best route. any fix you do might just rattle off or move and leave u stranded

absolutely I'm going to replace the coil, this was merely to determine if that's what the issue was.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back