RESTO 97 GSX 787 No Beep Code

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through this last year, my ski wouldn't start, and I couldn't figure out what the hell was the problem as apparently it doesn't beep anymore. I have a 96 I bought today, and see what it's supposed to do (97 may have when I bought it, but quit second season). Besides the fried VTS, (I've yet to actually see one that works), there wasn't anything to point to. I can't remember exactly, but it seems the rear box was wet inside and something fried I think, and I got it running. Other than it makes a massive wake and bogs right down until I get above 30 when it planes out and it's perfect, I've never had another issue. Can someone walk me thru what's supposed to all happen up front with and without the key, other than starting, when I push buttons or do anything? I apparently lost my main key over winter, but I thought I had a backup. Right now, nothing happens with it, but when I tried to bump it, I ended up discovering I'm not getting enough voltage and am reconditioning the battery right now. But without that damn beeper, it's hard to know what's going on until I can turn it over.

I need to just buy a 96 harness and the electronics before I lose mine I think, considering the availability. I'm getting a lot of black oil out the exhaust when I first fired the 96 GSX, 95 GTX, but both have sat for years and fire right up. I might hook up a hose tomorrow to test run then a bit.

I swear, I've ran an entire tank of fuel through my first two skis, and the oil tank seems like it's not hardly moving. I've NEVER added any in 2 seasons, but again, 1 tank of fuel. I need to find a way to confirm it's being pumped in or just premix to simplify things. Right now, I'm gonna sell my 95 GTX & 95 SP with a trailer to recoup the cost of the new GSX.

Only other weird thing- sometimes one or the other ski with rev out fine in the water but not accelerate at all. But it's intermittent! More often than not, they're fine besides the bogging on take off that started last year. It's almost like the damn things are in neutral or damn near, maybe going 5mph no matter the engine speed. Sometimes restarting it a couple times clears it, otherwise just closer around like that for a few and it resolves on its own. Wth causes THAT??

BTW, selling my 95 SP & GTX, both run fine and are maintained. Only thing I've not done is the unchangeable lower end oil. Typical fade and fair to good condition. They single other issue being that odd on/off rev thing on the SP. What's a reasonable ballpark for both on a trailer? I know, no pics, can't be exact. I'm just looking for a range guys. I'd like to get $3,800 on the top end of my hopes, but I wonder if that's super high with the market the way it's been. They were going for a premium, but you pick them up cheap in spring. I'm prepared to sit on them until July to get a good price. Too dark to get the SP tonight, I'll try tomorrow when I pull my jet off the 97 GSX to do the wear ring. Idk if I should do an impeller tho. Lost 10mph off the top end, but a ring should bring that back. I'd gladly give some top for more bottom. 65mph is faster than we're allowed anyways and the cop presence is ALWAYS high.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-025612_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-025612_Facebook.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210515-025624_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-025624_Facebook.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210515-025646_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-025646_Facebook.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 5
If you have a 96 GSX and you press the Start button without the key on the post the gauges should show all LCD segments and LEDs lit for a few seconds and then function for about 30 seconds and then shut off. If you put the key on the DESS post you should get 2 beeps if the beeper is working to indicate everything is ok and ready to start. If you have the wrong key you should get 1 long beep. I think the gauges also go through the test mode described above. Other beep codes are described in the DESS section of the 96 shop manual.

Thanks mate. Does that stay the same for 97½? I'm getting the double beep and a red light on the 96, which runs, but the LCD has that crinkle effect I have to fix. I discovered last year my 97 doesn't beep, but can't remember anything else. Trying to test it this year, I'm missing my main key and the backup wasn't doing anything, but I discovered an issue that would explain that, and am fixing it now. Without the beeps, when I hit start without the key, should the gauges respond the same as 96? And if so, then whatever my gauges do on 97 the 96 would do if they were visible? I had to chase a power issue last summer that caused all kinds of crazy symptoms until I found a crack on the coil out back. That fixed everything immediately, but I've seen my ski do so many different things with and without a key and buttons and etc etc, I can't actually remember what's it's normal, and now I'm working with half the systems functional on each ski (I think) trying to get spring prep done. That computer MPEM/ECU change mid 97 made it really challenging. Now with the 96, I can see what's what a little better. I clearly have an old body style 97, with the new wiring and electronics for 98, and idk what else is different yet.

t button without the key on the post the gauges should show all LCD segments and LEDs lit for a few seconds and then function for about 30 seconds and then shut off. If you put the key on the DESS post you should get 2 beeps if the beeper is working to indicate everything is ok and ready to start. If you have the wrong key you should get 1 long beep. I think the gauges also go through the test mode described above. Other beep codes are described in the DESS section of the 96 shop manual.

I think the 97 should behave the same as your 96. If you get no beeps but it starts or at least cranks, your beeper probably needs to be replaced. You can download shop manuals for free by Googling seadoo manuals.

I think the 97 should behave the same as your 96. If you get no beeps but it starts or at least cranks, your beeper probably needs to be replaced. You can download shop manuals for free by Googling seadoo manuals.
I've got the "correct" manual, though I forgot about it until now, but according to each one my ski shouldn't exist... That stupid design change happened kinda like Chevy Silverados did in 98-01, where you could buy a 01 old body 5.7L or a 99 new body 5.3L depending on where it was built. Except whatever twat-waffle put this thing together either didn't get the memo or was trying to use up leftover materials, and I've got a 95/96 hull, 98 computer and harness, 97 engine, a VTS system I can't exactly match tho it's damn close to the 96 I just bought, the rear electrical box doesn't match the rest of the electrical, and on and on. Oh, one of my favorites was troubleshooting something with the oil system last summer and discovering my beeper was out as well. Got on here to ask about the wiring, downloaded schematics, had the manual out. Well that particular section of harness is 5 black wires. Just black. There's no splicing, I've followed it and removed it all the way to the trunk and back, and it's all intact with the sealed factory 26-pin connector or whichever big square plug it was on. I haven't messed with that yet this year, can't remember. I'm worried about the oil pump just because I've NEVER had to add oil to either ski actually over an entire tank of fuel. I also have been getting better than 10 hours out of a tank though, so that's different too I guess. It's always things like this that trip me up. Right now it's the impeller that's got it down because i can't find the correct information.

Seadoo never did anything like mid year, different engines. And there is no 95 GSX hull. 1996-1997 GSX are the same except the MPEM White/Blue and White/Red hulls both with 787 engine. The only exception was the "Gray Ghost" 1997.5 GSX Limited that had the white 951.

Post a picture of your ski so we can try to understand what you think you have.

According to a number of threads on here, the Seadoo wiki, and the 2 factory manuals I downloaded from here, they switched from a lean out-hull to a lean-in hull for 98, same with the new one piece MPEM/ECU design, except if you start doing searches on the 97 GSX specifically you'll start immediately running into people who have completely different electrical systems, from the various modules to wiring, etc. It seems to be based on what month a ski was built from what I gathered after countless hours searching last year. I haven't had to get into the electrical much this year yet, so I can't remember exactly what to point you to except the MPEM, wiring, and the VTS, as they're quick and easy to remember. My hull is date stamped and I believe it's end of 96 or something but I have to go look to be certain. I've never seen this supposed lean-in hull in person. If you read up on the model and the changes made for 98, look around a bit at posts for 97, you'll quickly find people with skis that don't match. I still haven't seen a 98 in person either, but my electrical parts for sure have to be ordered as a 98, where as my (blue/teal & white) "97" gets 96 parts. The engines should be the same from what I've read, but the electrical for sure is a split year and Wikipedia/SeaDoo forum posts on the topic say the hull does too, but again, I can't verify that one as my hulls match as far as I know, unless the changes are relatively subtle.

I've only got the one in a background shot on my phone, but that hull looks dang close to my other one so far, but I haven't had them side by side yet. It would have to be underneath and something subtle if there's a difference. I'll check it's date stamp too. I can even take pictures of the under trunk area to show you the differences easiest to spot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-025612_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-025612_Facebook.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210515-025624_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-025624_Facebook.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 2
No, no hull changes, you have your models confused. The GSX hull is the same from the first year in 1996 to the last year 1999 with the exception of the larger engine mounts and pump starting in 1997.5.

The 1997 GSX is a twin carb 787.
130.jpg

This is the 1997.5 GSX Limited with the twin carb 951 "White" engine.
maxresdefault.jpg
The 1997 GSX 787 and 1996 GSX 1996 are the same except for the MPEM and a few wring changes.

The last 2 digits of your HIN is the model year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back