97 Gs starting and idling problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwat65

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a 97 Gs 720 that I can't seem to get running right. I put a brand new carb with an excellerator pump on it. I used the 98 Gs carb settings of low 11/4 and high 0. I have to pin the throttle to start it in the water and then I have to pump the throttle to keep it running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is getting too much gas I'm pretty sure but turning the low speed in didn't help

The hard to start and having to hold the throttle wide open sounds like a leaking needle/seat. Gas would continue to flood the carb. I'm guessing it does okay once you get going?

Having to pump the throttle to keep idle? I would look to adjust the idle screw first.

I hope that is not the problem in a brand new carb. I paid 230 bucks for the carb and really didn't want to open it up but I will. I am using the 98 carb settings because the 97 didn't have an accelerator pump. Could this be my problem . Do I need to lean the low speed out?

Did you verify the jetting? They don't always come with the correct jetting for your particular model.
It needs...
70 Pilot
167.5 Main
1.5 Needle & Seat.

Compression is great 150-150. New rectifier also. I will also check timing again but I'm pretty sure it's good. Vents are clear. I'm getting close to being dumbfounded on it.

Compression is great 150-150. New rectifier also. I will also check timing again but I'm pretty sure it's good. Vents are clear. I'm getting close to being dumbfounded on it. I will also check the jetting and n/s but it was supposed to be for my model except with the accelerator pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back